DjangoBooks.com

What about a DVD Michael?

gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
edited March 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 67
My apologies if this has been covered here before, but with a guitar style so subtle, unusual and complex doesn't it cry out for a visual representation of the techniques involved?

I find it quite difficult to 'know' for certain if I'm applying the techniques discussed in "Gypsy Picking" correctly, purely from reading the descriptions contained in the various sections. I feel it would be so helpful if Michael could produce a DVD, or downloadable video, that 'shows-what-he-tells', which is surely how the gypsies would pass on this knowledge themselves. (And the way Michael studied it presumably)

Probably the closest visual method I've come across is the instructional video by Mandino Reinhardt; "la Guitare Manouche" Vol 1 Le solo de Minor Swing (1937), produced by l'association Atema Alsace.

By the way, has anyone heard of any subsequent volumes? Of late the Atema website seems to be permanently 'under construction'.

I sincerely hope the forthcoming djangobooks publication covering rhythm playing will include a DVD. When I've read other books seeking to explain the techniques involved, and which then translate what they've said into tab, well......... for me they seem to add very little to unravelling the intricacies of the style.

I feel confident that many purchasers of "Gypsy Picking" would be only too willing to purchase an accompanying DVD as well.

Any chance Michael?

Stuart

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    My apologies if this has been covered here before, but with a guitar style so subtle, unusual and complex doesn't it cry out for a visual representation of the techniques involved?

I find it quite difficult to 'know' for certain if I'm applying the techniques discussed in "Gypsy Picking" correctly, purely from reading the descriptions contained in the various sections. I feel it would be so helpful if Michael could produce a DVD, or downloadable video, that 'shows-what-he-tells', which is surely how the gypsies would pass on this knowledge themselves. (And the way Michael studied it presumably)

Probably the closest visual method I've come across is the instructional video by Mandino Reinhardt; "la Guitare Manouche" Vol 1 Le solo de Minor Swing (1937), produced by l'association Atema Alsace.

By the way, has anyone heard of any subsequent volumes? Of late the Atema website seems to be permanently 'under construction'.

I sincerely hope the forthcoming djangobooks publication covering rhythm playing will include a DVD. When I've read other books seeking to explain the techniques involved, and which then translate what they've said into tab, well......... for me they seem to add very little to unravelling the intricacies of the style.

I feel confident that many purchasers of "Gypsy Picking" would be only too willing to purchase an accompanying DVD as well.

Any chance Michael?

Stuart

Stuart
    It would be a good idea yes---and the Mandino is great
    But in the meantime you can learn a helluva lot from the Bireli DVD--its all on there.......its a gift to anyone exploring the style imo,particularly regarding the right hand--as is the Rosenberg trio DVD
    They've certainly helped me.
    Best
    Stu
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    someone posted some video clips somewhere on the net about 6 months ago, if i remember correctly, and they were great demonstrations of gypsy picking ... i saved them to my computer at home but I forgot where they were originally posted and who did them. does anyone know?

keep in mind that having Michael demonstrate picking technique on video is a "mute point" since everyone knows that each one of us ends up developing with a slight variation.

why give "too much" information anyways? i think it will be interesting to see all the beginners shred it out in the next few years. only the strong will survive and a American styled and Django influenced gypsy picking technique will emerge right?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've had plans to a DVD for Gypsy Picking since I wrote the book. I will do one eventually. I've been focusing on the Gypsy Rhythm book for the last year and half. It's a huge project which required a massive amount of research and writing. Almost done....will be 3 vols totaling around 500 pages!

Once the Rhythm book is done I'm going to try and get some of these smaller projects done. One of them will be the Picking DVD.

Thanks for your interest!

-Michael
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    someone posted some video clips somewhere on the net about 6 months ago, if i remember correctly, and they were great demonstrations of gypsy picking ... i saved them to my computer at home but I forgot where they were originally posted and who did them. does anyone know?

These, maybe?
    http://www.maanoucheswing.com/cours.html
    Dennis could shed more light, no doubt.

Best,
    Jack.
  • gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
    Thanks for the responses,

I have the Bireli Lagrene DVD Stubla referred to above, which I agree is excellent, and probably the best performance DVD currently available.

Michael - the rhythm books (three volumes - wow!) sound really interesting, especially when in previous publications the analysis of playing rhythm in gypsy jazz is often 'covered' in about a dozen pages or less, but I feel my original point still remains; the visual analysis of differing techniques and styles appear to me to be crucial in teaching the style - is there likely to be an analytical DVD as part of the rhythm playing trilogy?

Stuart
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Stuart,

A rhythm DVD is yet another project I will do eventually. Unfortunately I can only write these books so fast. I spend years researching and writing each book. That insures quality, but it does mean folks have to wait a while. Sorry about that. If someone could provide some free baby sitting it would speed things up a lot!

'm