DjangoBooks.com

GJ in Tokyo?

mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
edited August 2007 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 74
I leave Monday for Tokyo; is there a club in the city that features gypsy jazz? I'd love to hear some music and maybe sit in while I'm in Japan.

Djavo

Comments

• The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Check out "The Blue Drag" (in English). It's a club/bar that's all Gypsy Jazz themed. They used to have jam sessions a couple times a week. That would be the place to go, if it's still around...
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    While you're there, check out the neighborhood called Akihabara. I was there just two weeks ago and there's an area that's nothing but music stores. Some of the guitar shops there are amazing with more vintage flattops and archtops than you can imagine. As far as gypsy guitars go, I went to onw shop and all the way on the third floor I found a few nice Duponts one of which was a nice Vielle Reserve that I was able to jam on for a long time. You can take the subway to this neighborhood. It's a short 2 minute walk from the Shin-Ochanomizu station on the Chiyoda line (exit B-1). It's worth a trip. Have fun and PM me if you need more info.

Doug
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Hi,

There a cafe in the Ginza district of Tokyo called "Cafe Django" but I think it is only a django themed place-- (no live music, but you never know...)
    http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~flower/django.html

Also in Ginza appears to be a place called "Live Rocky" and either the Swing Niglots or the Yellow Django Revival play there ocassionally (check the bands link or the schedule--from the main page, click the right side "enter" link to go to the info pages)
    http://www.liverocky.com/

Good luck and stay cool! (It is tough to stand the heat in Japan this time of year)

Gambate!
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    gitpicker wrote:
    As far as gypsy guitars go, I went to onw shop and all the way on the third floor I found a few nice Duponts one of which was a nice Vielle Reserve that I was able to jam on for a long time.

How funny, I was just in Tokyo as well (got back Sunday) and I played those same Duponts. I was amazed that there were Duponts in any guitar store, much less 3 of them! In fact, I took a picture of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10181845@N05/1183642637/

The guitar district in Ochanomizu is amazing. They love their guitars there. Any one of those countless guitar stores smokes Guitar Center any day.

I am seconding the weather recommendations. Don't bother packing anything warm. It's insanely hot there right now.

As for gypsy jazz, you should email Nobutake Ito from Note Noires directly, as trying to find shows in the area is really hard if you don't read Japanese. He'll let you know if anything is going on in the area.

his email is: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Also, the following link might be helpful:

http://www.geocities.jp/bluedrag_jp/
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Much obliged for all this great info. I may have some time today to check out one or both of the guitar districts, so I'll post my impressions if I can get there.

Dave McCarty
    Took the time after my last meeting to cab it to Ochanomizu and went through every shop there. Played those Duponts you guys mentioned. Loved the oval-hole; the Villette Reserve was very nice, but wasn't set up well. Surprisingly, I found no Gitanes, only a few cheap Aria Selmer knock-offs.

One shop had a thoroughly splendid used Eastman 805, totally acoustic, non-cutaway that was HUGE sounding, even withold, dead nickel strings on it. Throw on a set of phosphor bronzes and it would have been incredible. I am sorely tempted to go back and take that one home with me, but I have no idea what I would have to pay in duty to get it into the US.

Anyway, it was a fun 90 minutes and well worth the side trip. Again, many thanks for the useful recommendations.

Dave McCarty
    www.hotclubofnaptown.com
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i played in tokyo this year, it was great fun, excellent musicians, huge language barrier but we were able to get bynonetheless... one particular musician studied with romane and spoke french
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    I have a friend there named Yoshihiro Arita who is an excellent musician and great Djangophile. He performs a lot and may be up to something when you are there...

http://www.hiroarita.com/news-e.htm
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
    Dennis -

Where in Tokyo is the music store you're shown in that picture? Is it in Ochanomizu?

Dave