DjangoBooks.com

Small hands. Which guitar to get?

fozboxfozbox Salt Lake CityNew
I'm relatively new to guitar - especially GJ, but am an eager learner. I bought a Gitane 300 and Jorgensen's intro book and I simply don't have JJ's long fingers to wrap around the neck like he does (First chapter, he starts with a G bar chord on the 3rd fret, but changes the hand position so the thumb holds down the low E string, etc. Supposedly, it's easier. Not for my short, stubby fingers. )

Anyway, is there a guitar you'd recommend for someone who can't quite "stretch?"

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Shelley Park makes guitars with nice thin necks - I wonder if Charlie Ayers still has his - he's in your area. I think he was considering selling it at some point in the past. The guitar she made me was 0.05" narrower at the neck than a standard GJ guitar and 0.20" narrower at the 12th fret. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it is - and if you get her "C" shaped neck profile it'll be even easier for you to play, as "C" shaped necks tend to feel smaller.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hi Bob and Fozbox:

That Park has moved to a new home, but thanks for thinking of me. I think there are a variety of other choices with fairly thin necks (AJL, Dupont, Anastasio.....).

Charlie
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hi Again Fozbox:

I just now see that you're in SLC. Drop me an email (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->) if you want to shmooz about the music or playing.

Charlie
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i'm selling a d-500 which has a shorter scale and is easier for smaller hands.
    viewtopic.php?t=3350
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    fozbox wrote:
    --he starts with a G bar chord on the 3rd fret, but changes the hand position so the thumb holds down the low E string, etc. Supposedly, it's easier. Not for my short, stubby fingers.

I know this isn't what you asked, but before you buy your next guitar, take a look at
    http://djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1423

Thumb chords don't necessarily require big hands or long fingers, just forget everything you've been told about correct left hand playing position and press your palm shamelessly against the neck.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yeah I second that... thumb chords are tricky but it's mostly just that, there's a trick to play them, I've seen some kids play a lot of them so...
    you don't really need to play them though.
    If you want a different neck anyway I guess what you need to look for is nut width.
  • fozboxfozbox Salt Lake CityNew
    Okay, I'll keep trying. Looks like I haven't quite learned "the trick" yet.

Right now, it sounds like I'm muting all the strings all the time! :)
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Don't despair. When I began learning this technique I had trouble as well - my hands are not like Jorgenson's, or Django's either for matter! I wrote to Shelley Park and asked her about hand size. She said that her hands were relatively small, and that with time it wouldn't matter.

Almost everyone thinks this is a big problem when you start. It takes time, and lots of practice.

I currently play a DJ-300 Jorgensen model and can cope with the thumb wrap over positions. One thing that is subtle, is that only a part of the side of my thumb ( the outer aspect just above the knuckle) actually presses on the bass E string with these chords. It's well calloused now, and not used like a fifth finger.