DjangoBooks.com

Want to buy my first and only Gypsy guitar. Decent budget

Comments

• saxguysaxguy Los Altos, CANew
    That's very handy Michael, thanks
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    I have an MDC-50 Dupont that I bought new a couple of years ago after playing and falling in love with Rich from HCphilly's guitar... it is the 14 fret D-hole version of the MD-50 and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it. It is feather-light, and has an unbelievable tone and volume. That being said, I have played Rodrigo Shopis's D'Artagnan (3500$) and it is pretty amazing...
    http://www.rodrigoshopis.com
    Dennis Chang's AJL is also a beautiful axe with a great sound... I played it and loved it.
    The Manouche guitars also have a good rep... played and endorsed by many great players (Moreno!).
    charlie
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    Michael Collins has a used petite bouche for sale on his web site for $1900. French polish and laminated Madagascar rosewood back and sides:

http://www.collinsguitar.com/buyonline.htm

Check out the classifieds on this site too.
    What does this group think of Collins guitars ? re: playabilty, authentic sound and quality of workmanship?
  • jmaszlejmaszle New
    Collins guitars are wildly uneven. If he is selling this guitar that cheap there might be something faulty about it. Definitely do not buy it without playing it first. I have played several of his guitars and they were above average to very, very poor.
    I agree with Chappie... check out Dupont, Manouche, or for a luthier guitar: Rodrigo Shopis's guitars are amazing. I have played a number of them and they are simply immaculate. Same for Shelly Park.
    Jimmy
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can find a used maple Dupont MD 50 E here:
    http://www.12fret.com/used/#Flat-top%20Steel%20String
    The sales guy said that if you pay for it from the US you'll save the sales tax.
    How are Moustache guitars regarded folks? I see a Selmer for sale...

thanks
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Hi there, you can check out reviews from Harmony Central or on this sight or various other Gypsy Jazz sites... our new guitars are lighter in color than the previous ones... Thanks, Robert @ manouche
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:34 pm Post subject:
    How are Moustache guitars regarded folks? I see a Selmer for sale...

Let me choose between a Selmer and a Moustache. Is this guy putting us on? Stick with the sax, guy.
    charlie
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Actually the real truth is that Selmer did a much better job making wind instruments than guitars... which was more or less a fluke. I have seen and played a couple real Selmers and just about any asian guitar I played sounded better... I'm not alone in this opinion...