DjangoBooks.com

Tell me about Gypsy Jazz in NYC

djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
edited October 2007 in North America Posts: 249
I'd like to know what GJ is happening in NYC. Are there players/groups who live there and can be regularly seen there? What kind of venues are they playing in? Any info would be appreciated...

EDIT: Wow, 74 views and no response? Perhaps I was too vague... I'd just like to get an idea of the state of the GJ scene in NY because I'm a former Yorker who might end up moving back there in the next couple of years. I know next to nothing about GJ in NYC though, except that I believe Stephane Wremble plays there. Are there other regulars?

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    For all its size and weight in the world, New York is severely under-represented in Gypsy Jazz. With 7 million people you'd think there would be more than 5 people there who can play this music. Oddly their annual Django-fest , The Spirit of Django, at Lincoln Centre draws an enthusiastic crowd.
    Move to the UK for a more vibrant (though odder) scene.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Stephane's crew and Ben Wood's Franglais are the two bands most often on the scene. David Langlois (washboard with Stephane) also plays with a band called the Blue Vipers of Brooklyn, which is more early jazz-oriented. Most of the venues seem to be small clubs and bistro-type places.

The Birdland Django Festival is much more intimate than the Lincoln Center one, and runs longer. I don't know if it's still going, but there was also Django-a-gogo for a few years which drew some good young players from overseas.

best,
    Jack.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    I'm playing gypsy-jazz (or jazz-gypsy) at least twice a week at French restaurants in Brooklyn & Manhattan.
    Other local gypsy-jazz players with steady gigs include Ben Wood, Marc Daine, Carlos Pavone...(I hope I didn't forget anyone).
    The opportunities for gypsy jazz here are increasing. Move back and become a part of the burgeoning scene!

- Tom
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the scene as well..
    with Ben Wood, Victor Verbeek, Stephane's jams, etc.

www.myspace.com/alexsimonmusic

www.youtube.com/9oh21oh
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Speaking of New York guitar players, I watched the new Les Paul documentary last night and about half way through the video Les whips out a Selmer in a soft-case that has 3 repaired pot-holes (where volume knobs once were) in it... presumably Les tried to turn it into a electric guitar at one point in time...

While he was showing the guitar he called it a "gift". Im not sure what that meant but maybe it meant that Django gave him the guitar?
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    I knew that I'd forget some names. Sorry about that.
    Alex Simon and Joel Beaver also lead their own gypsy jazz groups in NYC.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    django did give les a selmer...
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Thanks for the responses... good to know that gypsy jazz has some representation in NY. I'm starting a list to keep handy when I visit and potentially move back.
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    Check out the new Hot Club Of Hell's Kitchen. Mike Ceferatti on lead, Jack Parizo and myself (hopefully) on rhythm, Jared Engel on bass.

They will be filling in for Stephane Wrembel's weekly Weds NJ Gypsy Jam on 10/31, 11/7. Its at PJ Hanely's in Brooklyn at about 7pm. Come on down, bring yer guitar and some friends!

Emmett
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Emmett:

I didn't know you were in New York. You are a true artist... the greatest guitar player in the world, except maybe for the Gypsy guy from France... I'm such a fan of yours. If I ever get to cross the great pond again, I'll be sure to look you up. Maybe we could shoot some rats at the dump?

Louise