DjangoBooks.com

GJ in New Orleans, Austin & in between?

Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
edited November 2007 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 795
I'm traveling to Austin, TX on Nov 9th for the weekend, then leisurely on to New Orleans be car for the rest of the week. Love to hear suggestions where I might encounter live GJ, Jazz or Swing.

Craig

Comments

• A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Craig,

In NOLA be sure to check out the scene on Frenchman ST.
    "Vavavoom" performs there at the "Spotted Cat" once or twice a week.
    Great Gypsy Jazz with Raphael and Pierre (From France) and their troupe with Neti Vann on Violin.
    Don't know if Tony Green is in town. He may still be in Venice.

"DBA" right across the street as well as "Snug Harbour" (best jazz club in NOLA)" is worth checking out...
    "Mimi's in the Marigny" is with in walking distance...
    Definetly hit "Tipitina's" mid town...
    For the best Gumbo go to Luizza's corner of Ponce De Leon & ? !!!

Washboard Chaz, Spencer Bohren as well as the Radiators, Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes,are all worth seeing if they are performing while your there.
    Have fun. You won't be able not too!

A.K.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Thanks AK. Great leads all.

Craig
    Craig,

In Austin...

Check out Django's Moustache from Dallas...

Paris 49... From Austin...

and David Biller... (Austin?)

Surf them and you may find them performing...

If not, contact them and they will point you in the right direction...

If you ever travel to Tucson I know a great GJ band here!

A.K.
    Just to close the loop on this thread.....

Didn't find any gypsy jazz in Austin, but we were pretty busy and confess to not looking very hard.

New Orleans was definitely happen'. The Spotted Cat on Frenchman Street on the edge of the French Quarter it THE place and was packed every night until 2AM for groups like Vavavoom and Jazz Vipers.

Vavavoom is a Django inspired treat with a New Orleans jazz bent. Great musicianship all around. David Langlois, washboard percussionist extraordinare from Stephane Wrembel's Trio was sitting in along with a very good clarinetist. They swing like crazy. I picked up their CD Swingphonicity, very good and comes off similar to how they sound live.

Jazz Vipers are not a guitar centered group, more 1920s New Orleans jazz style with horns and woodwinds, but again, lots of fun.

We listen to a number of other groups for short periods in the French Quarter and ran into some good players busking on the street. There is a lot of busking going on in New Orleans.

I would also mention David Newman's International Vintage Guitars within walking distance of the French Quarter. He had five Duponts and allowed me to play all five over a period of a couple hours. Numerous archtops, Les Pauls, etc that I wish I had had time to play.

New Orleans is a music city, not to mention great food, wine, art, shops, etc. My wife and I are plotting our return.

Thanks for the recommendations,

Craig
    Cool!

Glad you enjoyed it!
    I was to be out in NOLA in December, but cant make it...
    Speaking of David, too bad you missed Washboard Chaz. He is a old school washboard player, a good friend, that performed in Dan Sadowski's Ophelia Swing Band back in the 70's along with Tim O'Brian...

Gotta love the locals!

Red beans and ricely yours!

A.K.
    Yeah, I am sure I have just begun to scratch the surface. Looking forward to a return as soon as possible to dig a little deeper.

Craig