DjangoBooks.com

clips of my new DVDs

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited October 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 2,159

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Man, these look great! It's great to see it all broken down into manageable parts like that. The split screen is nice too for emphasizing the importance of the right hand...can't wait to see the whole series!

best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    WOW! Looks like your new DVD's are gonna be killers!!
    I've been waiting for something like this for a loooong time, I know they're gonna make me play better.
    This new series is sure to become a "must-have" for all of us gypsy jazzers.
    Thanks a lot Denis!
    Nice!
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Looks great Denis! When will they be available??
    -fopa
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it should be out within the next few months, december 2007 is a possibility but no guarantee!!!
  • TomCTomC New
    The clips are great !....just what I need ...show me where to put my fingers !!
    I hope you do a 2fer deal with the first tape ,would make a mighty fine Christmas present
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Looks very nice! I dig the split screen and the riffs sound good.

Will the dvds come with a booklet containing transcriptions of the riffs?

My one big desire with the last rhythm dvd was I wish there had been a booklet so I could practice main points away from the cool glow of my television set.

Great work and looking forward to the dvds! Thanks,
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    sorry no books, the dvd series is much more than just licks after licks although the youtube clips make it seem that way...

a huge chunk of the dvd is about ear training and developing observation/reflex skills.

there are definitely tons of licks/phrases and patterns to illustrate various concepts but it goes much deeper than that....

i wrote the lesson plan very carefully and wanted to make something really dense and complete

it is also very progressive which is why i believe the dvds should be sold as a 4 volume set instead of individually (although the possibility to order each of them separately might be there)...

i also made it so that it's for all levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced...

beginners will benefit from just the licks

intermediate players will understand where the licks come from so they can better improvise without using licks...

and there is a segment on "gypsy" phrasing... i noticed a lot of non-gypsy players who have a solid command of the gypsy technique yet they still dont sound "gypsy" ... of course not that it's a goal to sound "gypsy", but it 's an interesting to thing to look at , and it is something that is easily overlooked... this has to do with bends, slides, vibrato, hammer-ons/pull-offs, pick articulations etc...

for example this phrase, most people are familiar with:
    1h3p1
             3 0
                   2 0
                         3 0
                               2 0

that's how maybe a non "gypsy" (man i hate using that word) would play it but someone who's familiar with gypsy articulation would play it this way
    1h3 1
             3 0
                   2 0
                         3 0
                               2 0

advanced players will learn the stuff i learned from fapy (phrasing concepts) and many other great musicians (not just gypsy jazz) -> voice leading

i talk about modern playing as well , stuff that very few gypsy jazz players use (if ever) such as symmetrical scales, lydian substitutions, pentatonic substitutions.... stuff i picked up from coltrane, scott henderson, brecker...

i cover just about every progression used in the style :

I IV V

II V I

V I

cycle of V

douce ambiance style changes

static chords

rhythm changes

etc... etc...

and how to approach these progressions based on tempo (ballad, swing, fast) and duration of chords (1 chord per bar, 2 chords per bar, etc...)

enough so that the student knows how to handle any chord progression (in a functional context of course) they're bound to encounter, even if it's not covered in the DVD

again the main focus of the DVD is ear and reflex training...

you don't need a booklet because the examples are repeated numerous times at various speeds with AND without an accompanist...

i'll ask the producer to put clips of something else than "licks"
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    are the dvd's going to be the same price as the first dvd, or is there going to be a discount if the 4 are going to be bought together as some kind of package deal?