DjangoBooks.com

Want to buy my first and only Gypsy guitar. Decent budget

Comments

• HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Elliot wrote:
    Geez, Bob....

Here's a quote from an article on the history of French guitar making from the Classical Guitar Store:

Is that from the Classical Guitar store in Philly, owned by Bob Page?
    He keeps telling me that he's an expert on French Classical guitar construction. :) [he is!]
    Barr
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Just for the record, Django's 503 was not the only Selmer with his name engraved, Stochelo's 504 also bears our hero's name, and I bet that's an amazing instrument... #503 and 504 talk about consistency!
    I suspect there were probably more "Django Reinhardt" Selmers, they likely made a small series and he picked the one he liked the most, it seems they were completely stock, apart from the inscription, but in my humble opinion they really didn't have anything to change, the design is great as it is!
    It's also possible that he was picky and the reason he played one guitar for so long without searching for something better is that he was truly satisfied.
    I think Stochelo plays other brands for other reasons, not because he isn't happy with his Selmer.
    I also believe that Django, like all great musicians, cared more about the sound of his instrument than it's appearance or the just the flattery of having a signature model.
    I mean there are lots of players who endorse a particular brand for commercial ads and play another guitar in real life...
    In Dregni's book it says that while on the "Ellington" tour he was forced to play an American archtop and so asked Delaunay to bring him a Selmer as soon as he could...
    Django swooned when he got his hands on the Selmer. "My brother" he said to Delaunay "all the Americans will wish they could play on this guitar! ...you can hear the chords like you can on the piano... it speaks like a cathedral!" artist endorsements were rarely so heartfelt.
    where is that passage in the book? don't think i've come across that bit yet or i've missed it reading late at night
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Just for the record, Django's 503 was not the only Selmer with his name engraved, Stochelo's 504 also bears our hero's name, and I bet that's an amazing instrument... #503 and 504 talk about consistency!

I know....there were about 40 guitars with Django Reinhardt engraved on the headstock. But Django's was the only one in ALL CAPS.

'm
    OK Michael, thanks for the clarification.

Wirralgitane, it's on the top of page 225.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Does anyone know who own's the 1949 #795 Selmer?
    A.K.
    Just curious.
    is there a list of who owns what selmers now :?: or where they are :idea:
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew

I know....there were about 40 guitars with Django Reinhardt engraved on the headstock. But Django's was the only one in ALL CAPS.

'm

As I understand it about 39 had "modelle Django Reinhardt" on the headstock, Django had the only one with just "Django Reinhardt"on it.
    Check the website of Leo Eimers, it has a lot of detailed pictures of Stochelo Rosenbergs 504.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
    Korat wrote:
    Check the website of Leo Eimers, it has a lot of detailed pictures of Stochelo Rosenbergs 504.
    Can you post the direct link please?
    I can only find info on the Selmer 430, also belonging to Stochelo and for sale right now.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    In my experience, the best guitars by price range are:

Below 1K: Gitane (I think the DG-320 and DG-330 are the best of these)

Below 2K: Manouche

Below 3K: Dell Arte Hommage

Around 3.5K: Dupont MD50, ALD, and some of the more affordable Luthier built instruments.

When you get to 4K or above there are lots of choices. Park, AJL, vintage Favinos, Collins, Eimers, etc.

'm

Sorry to bump this older topic, but how to the Chinese made Dell Arte's rank? I read a past post in which you mentioned the first shipment was junk, but are the gitanes still better?

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.