DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo Chord Intro

chip3174chip3174 New
edited October 2008 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 135
Ok so this intro comes from what appears to be an instructional video. You can listen to the whole thing here in the video section of Djangobooks:

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000811

This should be played very freely, and I have written this out without a time signature. Also the fingerings were my best guess, feel free to experiment with your own. I can't say for sure, but I think he got the last two measures from Bireli...or could it be the other way around? :wink:

A slowed down sound-clip follows the pdf.
Enjoy.
Chip

Comments

• buebobuebo New
    Nice, thanks a lot!
    I thought hm well thats kinda playable, then clicked the linked and realized it was indeed the slowmo version...
    Anyways it sounds great slower too, maybe even better!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Thanks for the post and transcription. I keep trying to work more chordal stuffing in my GJ and there aren't very many examples around. I've heard him use that opening run before. The downward chordal thing in measures 3-5 is pretty cool.

Is this an intro Stochelo uses on For Sephora (or something else)? or is it some little thing he throws off at the beginning of the video lesson just to let you know who's boss. :o

Craig
  • buebobuebo New
    No idea, he sometimes in live versions does some intro with chordal things combined with lines. Check out the tunes Just Relax and Stephanesque for some ideas on his chordal soloing work. There's some wonderfull stuff in both, Jimmy Rosenberg seems to agree with me on this ;).
  • OliveOlive FranceNew
    Very nice chord progression , thanks a lot ! :)
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    You're welcome Olive, Craig, and Buebo! It was a blast to figure out. Glad you folks liked it.

Maybe I'll post some more this Dec. when class is out and I have some free time.
  • dnasurferdnasurfer New ZealandNew
    i have to agree, thats for the pdf, this piece is nice
    I think I'm going to learn this piece , the first part is not hard not easy. Sometimes my family askes me to play a tune , but I find it stuppid to just play minor swing without backtrack and improvisation. So the next time somebody asks, im going to play this piece. muahahahha
  • FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
    Well he does play For Sephora later on that video and I think that intro ties in well. What a beautiful melody that song, I cannot get it out of my head. I cannot find a recorded version of For Sephora on iTunes by Stochelo......just another version that was not all that good.
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    This is a bit of "Listen", a solo piece on Ready 'n Able, the CD Stochelo recorded with Mozes, his younger brother.

Unaccompanied playing is a whole different genre within gipsy jazz and I think this composition is lovely. As DjangoDjango mentioned, it's nice to just play when someone puts a guitar in your hands and asks you to play something (you know the drill, it's terrible huh!). But this is ideal for that and I play it all time, also as a warmup.

And I know for a fact that Stochelo uses it as a warmup too. This bit is in E, but in the full version it ends in A. Stochelo uses that E bit to anticipate on songs in E, such as here, but he used it in concert before Summertime too (which worked perfect!).
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Hey Simonius,

You are right, it is a great warm-up, and I've used it as an intro to uncaccompanied songs in E minor....works well if you play it before "Autumn Leaves" for example, or "My Favorite Things", "Summertime" etc.

Thanks for identifying it!

Best,
    Chip