DjangoBooks.com

Anyone checked out the new Gypsy Kat Amp?

Kelly DowKelly Dow South Florida✭✭✭
Sounds pretty good on you tube. wondering if anyone's tried one out with a gypsy guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQLvPBYgeo

Comments

• CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    None of that sounded even remotely like gypsy jazz. Not the best demo for something called the "gyspy"kat. I've heard FV sound more gypsy, I don't know why he would choose to sound so modern jazz here.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I like the monkey playing guitar during the first tune!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Kelly DowKelly Dow South Florida✭✭✭
    You're right, if he wanted to market this amp to gypsy jazzers he should have played Dark Eyes and Minor Swing at quater note = 350.
    Then the amp would be flying off the shelves. :D

The point is, I think the amp sounds good with both guitars.
    I have a Dell Arte JR and an Eastman 7 string, so I am looking for an amp that would work well with both of these. I only know of Schertler, AER and Ultrasound, I think it is a good thing for another company to get into the quality acoustic amp market.
    I would love to have heard his Favino through the amp, that is why I asked if anyone has tried one with a gypsy guitar.

Yes, Funky Monkey is very modern. However, according to the repertoire forum, Tico Tico, was written in 1917, making that modern for who? Woodrow Wilson?
    I think Frank plays pretty inside on this song too.
    Stochelo also recorded Tico Tico on his Impressions CD. (Impressions, hmmm, isn't that a John Coltrane compositon? That modern crap is creeping up everywhere. Before you know it, Bireli will be picking up an electric bass, playing and sounding like Jaco)

I dig Frank Vignola's playing, I know he doesn't use "proper" gj technique, but to me he has a great feel and he swings hard. The Django Fest. NY CD is how I got into this music, and Frank had a lot to do with putting that together.

I am more interested in learning about this new amp than Frank's playing, so if anyone has tried one or bought one, I'd like to hear an opinion.

Here is another GypsyKat Demo where he plays Tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2Q4mHL2gY

Also, I agree with cableFSU 100%
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    It sounds pretty good. Does anyone know how much they sell for?
    -fopa
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The GypsyKat is available here: