DjangoBooks.com

Wrist Angle During Rest Stroke

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited January 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 140
Hello All,

I looked over the old posts to see if the answer was already there but I didn't see it. That said, if this is a repost, I am sorry.

I am working my way through the first few rest stroke exercises in Gypsy Picking and I find that my wrist tends to straighten out from the "broken wrist" position. The back of my hand ends up inline with the rest of my arm. I'm not trying to do this, but it's just the way my wrist naturally moves. Is this incorrect?

I find that if I reposition my right arm so that it farther forward on the upper bout, that forces the broken wrist position. Is that what I should be doing?

Thanks,

peri

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    try to emulate the body position photos in the book and what you can see from the many videos on this site and youtube. also take it really slow at first
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Peri...many people have trouble with this at first. It just takes time to get used to it. As you've already said, adjusting your arm position usually helps.

good luck!

-Michael
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    so i should definitely try for the broken wrist angle no matter what?

thanks
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yeah, broken wrist...just let it hang naturally
    It's a lot easier to learn the lead picking technique if you learn how to do the pompe right first...
    Pay a lot of attention to being relaxed at all times.
    Good luck!!
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    try to aim the pick towards the sound hole. almost so that the pointy part lines up with the direction of your thumb. this gets the most django looking hand for so far for me. it's very weird at first.

oud players hold their plectrums kind of like this as well:

http://www.oudcafe.com/right_hand_basics.htm
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/