DjangoBooks.com

New York in November

dulcimistdulcimist New
edited July 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 34
Anybody got a basic chord chart for "New York in November" by Dorado Schmitt. Great melancholy ballad, I've been messing around with on the dulcimer.

Thanks,
-Andy

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Peter Anick transcribed a version in the Summer '03 issue of Fiddler Magazine...you can order back issues here. Or maybe Jason can talk him into sharing it!
    (He's also got an interview with Dorado here.

best,
    Jack.
  • dulcimistdulcimist New
    Thanks for the tip Jack. I might just have to plunk down the 4 bucks for that issue. I'm guessing it would have chords with it.
  • dulcimistdulcimist New
    So, I finally ordered a copy of the magazine with "New York in November" transcribed. It arrived yesterday. While I had hoped it included chords, alas it did not. Figuring out melody is easy for me, it's understanding the chord structure underneath that takes me much longer. I know what someone is thinking... figuring it out on my own will be a good learning exercise. Ugh.

One interesting note from the article, however: Dorado wrote the tune as an homage to the citizens of NYC in the aftermath of 9/11. He had just been to Birdland for the festival (this was 2003 I think), and was so moved by the experiences of the people he met that he wrote this song.

If you're not familiar with the tune you can hear it on Samson's CD Djieski (sp?). Great tune.