DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    i see its already on hold. can i ask how much you were selling it for Michael?
    Va-va-voom! Nice!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It was up for sale for $8,500 and lasted all of 10 minutes. I guess there's a lot of demand for these....no wonder because for the hour or so that it was here I could tell that it's a phenomenal instrument. We'll be getting more...but there's a long wait as Stefan Hahl makes these all himself.

My first impressions were that it's the consummate modern Gypsy guitar. It has punch and cutting power in the high end. But also had lots of mids and low end (which Gypsy guitars usually lack) but wasn't washed out or mushy sounding. Only a master luthier can build a guitar that has that perfect combination of warmth and cutting power. Most other guitars usually have one or the other. Either they're loud as hell but brash, or very warm but weak.

However, as good as the Hahl is, for pure volume a really good vintage guitar (selmer, Busato, Favino) or a Dupont VR will be louder. But the Hahl was still very loud, and for most situations it's more then adequate.

One really cool feature is that the bridge has a bone saddle. The guitar came with three sets of saddle pieces that you can use to raise or lower the action. Very nice solution to the inflexibility of solid wood bridges.

Playability was stellar...even with fairly high action the guitar played easily just about anywhere on the neck.

Now I see why Bireli plays Hahl guitars....they're perfect for a musician who wants to go beyond the traditional technical limits of Gypsy jazz. The Halh guitar really allows you to pull stuff off that would be very difficulty or impossible on a lot of standard Gypsy guitars. It's like a Gypsy guitar with the ultra playability of a good archtop. amazing!

I've got three more on order but it will probably be six months or more before I get another one. If anyone wants to preorder let me know...there's already a wait list forming for these exceptional guitars.

Looks like in general the de Luxe model will be around $8,500...the standard Gitano will be in the $5-$6K range. The Super Deluxe will be $15K or so....

-Michael
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks to everyone who inquired about the Hahl Deluxe. It is now officially sold....

The new owner did a gig with it last night and was completely delighted with the exceptional tone and playability of the instrument.

I'm trying to to get more of these as soon as possible...after playing one briefly I think I'll have to order one for my self! I can't stop thinking about it...

'm