DjangoBooks.com

mystery guitarist?? old recording

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited May 2005 in History Posts: 386
I rediscovered an old tape i've had for years yesterday--i don't know who it is-maybe someone recognises it??
It sounds like a recording off a legitimate LP(from,i think, by the sound, the 60's or 70's)
The rhythm section is guitar,string bass and drums--similar to the guitar partie line up(the guitarist isn't Tchan tchou though!!)
Its good,if not great, playing particularly the 2 waltzes(very nice on "Indifference");pretty sure its a manouche playing(on acoustic-but some bebop licks in there!!)
Fairly soft attack.
Heres the track listing
1)Distraction(played by Django on the Brussels sessions)
2)Djangos tiger
3)Night & Day
4)Troublant Bolero
5)Indifference
6)Out of nowhere
7)Please be kind
8)Nuages
9) La Folle

Unusual combination of songs so hopefully someone will recognise the recording
Ted?..Scot?..Nick?

Was there a guitarist called 'Zlatcho'???
Cheers
Stu

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Bravo, Ted!

do you have some discographical details about this LP, too? Like Label, Ref.-Number, personnel and so on?

Best,

Barengero
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    My tape has no date, but I'd say that it's late 80s to early 90s. It was self-produced. The players are Zlatcho Reinhardt, J.B.Laya, Antonio Licusati (journeyman bass player) and D. Grebil. I agree, it's a nice tape of excellent and tasteful playing.
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi all,

I would just like to stress that it is Zlatcho Meinhardt and not Reinhardt.
    The quartet was called SWING GITAN and played in Place des Vosges, but I would say it was less than 10 years ago (but time flies).

I have the original cassette and there is no number at all on it, it was a self produced cassette (I don't think there were any LP just cassette and no CD yet).

The titles given by Stu are not exactly the right ones or in the right order : 8) is La Foule (not la Folle) and 9) is Nuages.

Best

François RAVEZ
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Hi all,

I would just like to stress that it is Zlatcho Meinhardt and not Reinhardt.
    The quartet was called SWING GITAN and played in Place des Vosges, but I would say it was less than 10 years ago (but time flies).

I have the original cassette and there is no number at all on it, it was a self produced cassette (I don't think there were any LP just cassette and no CD yet).

The titles given by Stu are not exactly the right ones or in the right order : 8) is La Foule (not la Folle) and 9) is Nuages.

Best

François RAVEZ

Thanks to all of you for solving the mystery :-)
    My cassette is obviously a copy of the original--all it had was 'Zlatcho' written in fading pencil--hence the mystery!
    Wonder what hes up to now??
    Stu
    I don't know anything about Zlatcho Meinhardt though I possibly saw him playing (I always wondered if it was not a pseudonym) Zlatcho means black in romanian.
    Now on the cassette there is a phone number, this phone number is a 10 digits number. As 10 digits numbers were used in France from october 1996, we can assume that this cassette is less than 10 years.
    This is a trick that sometimes works for approximative datation of unknown collection items.
    Using the phone number I could get the name of the owner of the phone and address, but the owner is Jean-Baptiste Laya (the other guitar player on the cassette). May be he would know more about the mysterious Zlatcho Meinhardt.

Best regards

François RAVEZ
    Hi all,

I wrote Jean-Baptiste LAYA about Zlatcho MEINHARDT and he answered me that he had no news from Zlatcho (whose real name seems to be Julien Ménart) since 1999.

Best

François RAVEZ