DjangoBooks.com

More Gypsy jazz at Outpost - workshop & concert 3/30

tzadiktzadik New
edited April 2008 in North America Posts: 21
Outpost 186 - Inman Square - Cambridge, MA 7:00 PM

Ameranouche workshop and Concert with special guest Jack Soref from Sinti Rhythm.

7:00pm Workshop
8:00pm Chili (mmmmm...free but donations accepted)
8:30pm Concert

Admission:
$20 for workshop and concert
$10 for concert only

-----

Is it me or is Outpost 186 turning into the Gypsy jazz hub? Methinks we rally to rename it the Caravanpost.

This will be a mini-workshop and concert with Ameranouche and special guest and friend Jack Soref of Sinti Rythm. Bring your instruments and questions or just come kick back and enjoy. It's a Sunday night so it's going to be relaxing and energizing and all the other things that will get you through the looming Monday morning.

Jack is hosting a jam that starts down the road at Atwood's at about 9pm. Plan to stop by and get your fix after you've been 'Nouched.

Peace!

Comments

• tzadiktzadik New
    bump bump, spread the word, gang!
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I had a great time at yesterday's workshop and concert by Ameranouche at Outpost. I had not heard these guys in the round; they were hot! Their specialty is exotic arrangements of tunes from the Gypsy Jazz repertoire and some original compositions. Richard "Shep" Sheppard, their lead guitarist, I can only describe as a force of nature, with his lightning tremolo, chromatic runs, ferocious attack, and exotic chord soloing. He is a gregarious presence in performance, signaling his cohorts with body language and charming listeners with his intense facial expressions. Playing a Dell Arte with a rich tone, his notes projected much better than I'd expected, coming across punchy and articulate. Rhythm guitarist Ryan Flaherty I call "Iron Man" (or maybe Iron Ryan) for his unwavering rhythm chops at blistering speeds. He played pompe with precision and force, adding much to the well-integrated sound. I enjoyed watching Xar Adelberg on string bass, too, serene and composed, with her deft handling of passages that would have careened out of control in the hands of a lesser talent.

Not to be forgotten was our own Jack Soref, who sat in for a number of tunes before heading off down the street to host the gypsy jam session at Atwoods Tavern. Jack teamed with Ryan on tight rhythmical accompaniments and did some nice solos. How he hung in there was inspiring to me! He had to depart midway through the concert. The last tune of the evening was Les Yeux Noirs (Dark Eyes), with Richard pulling out all of Django's tricks and some of his own, for a satisfying end to a great show.

Later at Atwoods as Jack, Tim Weed, Sven Larson, and I were jamming, Shep, Ryan, and Xar stopped by to visit—even though they had a long drive ahead of them back home. Shep and Ryan sat in and treated us to some more fine tunes. Throughout the evening I was struck by this group's energy and friendliness. I wish them the best in their upcoming tours.

-Rob
    Great review! Thanks for keeping us posted. :D
    Mon plaisir, Stack. I ain't no reviewer, but when I hear a group that has an abundance of certain strengths, I like to highlight them because aside from my own fascination, some GJ devotees will be interested in them. For example, I was impressed by Shepp's tremolo skill—it dominates his playing and is based in a coherent mental/physical theory he explained that slowing way down and listening to what your body tells you is essential to developing sound technique.

Also I'll work on my spelling of "Shepp." :)
  • tzadiktzadik New
    Rob, thanks much for the feedback and the kind words.

See you next time! :)

-tzadik
    You bet!

R
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ya those guys are really nice people! i'm glad people had a good time!