DjangoBooks.com

Selmer Vibro Effect - Busato tuning Fork

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if this should rise to the level of a "sticky"? It's one of those baseline reviews, setting a standard by which other instruments are judged.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Heretic wrote:
    I'm wondering if this should rise to the level of a "sticky"? It's one of those baseline reviews, setting a standard by which other instruments are judged.

good idea...done.
    Bob Holo wrote:

I have to say though, Michael - just my humble opinion, but Selmer 5XX was alone in recreating that effect exactly (from the front side of the guitar anyway) The VR & the Cedar Selmer each had a darned good interpretation of that effect - certainly as good as I've heard in modern guitars, but only Selmer 5xx nailed it to the point where it was just uncanny.

Yes, the real Selmer had the most pronounced vibro effect of all the guitars. Sounds so cool....anyone got $25K I can borrow??

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Can you record and post something you've played .. A/B the VR and the Selmer?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    a wrote:

That would be sweet!
    a wrote:

Sorry...the Selmer is gone.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    It REALLY is farty, and yet its still a gas! He played very well.
    It is a very apt descriptor. Just couldn't see how till the clip.
    It's hard to beleive that such a difference could exist in otherwise similar guitars. Bet Holo's right, its in the wood. What else could it be that hadn't already been replicated in later guitars? If someone (you) hadn't said it in a hands on comparison, no one could have convinced me that it wasn't just an endearing artifact of recording. amazing. Are you pretty sure it wasn't string slap?
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Jeff Moore wrote:
    Are you pretty sure it wasn't string slap?

Buzz is part of it....Selmers (and really good copies like the Dupont VR) have a distinctive fret buzz sound. For some reason when the frets buzz on the lower strings of a Selmer you get that midrangey, farty, Sitar like sort of sound. Other guitars just sound buzzy....

'm
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I was just wondering how much do Selmers weight?
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I know this is an older thread - but as I am already thinking of an "upgrade" at some point (much further down the road, actually), these thoughts have been with me of late.

From what I'm gathering, in really broad brushstrokes, Favino's are "richly dark," with bass and midrange tones not seen normally in either Selmer(esque) or Busato(esque); Busato sound is bright, clear, pure, bell-like, dry, with "penetrating" power, likely due to the pronounced bombe; Selmers are typically more rounded in tone, warm, more complexity (overtones?)

Is this about right?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.