DjangoBooks.com

Dell'Arte's well-kept secret (and my new guitar)

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
As some of you may remember from my previous post "Who makes 14-fret short scale Selmacs?" http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4407, I've been on the hunt for what has become my Holy Grail of gypsy guitars, the elusive 14 fret short scale D hole. A chance query to **** kicked off a lengthy correspondence during which it was revealed that Dell'Arte makes just such a beast, a special order Anouman.

Well, today's hot news from this part of the world is that mine arrived last night, when I took delivery of an absolutely gorgeous example of the same (see pix below - it's even prettier in person). This is a pristine 2003 model that Alain had on consignment and features amazing maple back and sides, a Bigtone, a great neck, and a punchy, biting sound that (to my ears) is almost more oval hole than D hole, but with the openness you associate with D holes.

If you have the same issue that I have (small hands and difficulty with the long scale), and you're also a D hole fan but you want 14 fret access, get in touch with Alain. He'll make you one. Laminates are standard for the back and sides, although mine is solid. Per Alain, "The scale length is 25.5 inches. The outer material for the laminate is either Indian Rosewood, flamed Maple or Walnut."

They also have a Tchavolo Schmitt signature model that's featured on the **** Web site, a 14 fret short scale Favino sized D hole, with back and sides made of Primavera.

I have to say also that Alain is every bit the great guy that everyone says he is. We had a really enjoyable discussion by e-mail, and he very patiently answered my many questions.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Looks like a real beauty! Short scale can work. I play opposite a short scale Pattenote a lot of the time and it is a great sounding guitar, very loud old school sound.

By the way, what brand of tuners does it have? I've been seeing these enclosed tuners on Dell 'Artes where the tuner axle shows on the opposite side of the enclosure. Just wondering who makes them and if they seem good? Wondering if they would be a good alternative to the $300+ DRs and DM tuners.

I met and jammed a little with someone from Nova Scotia last year at Django in June. Could that have been you? Are you going this year?

Craig
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Here is a picture off the web of the Dell 'Arte tuners. Are these what you have? Wondering what brand they are and how good they are.

CB
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Craig,

The ones on my guitar are open tuners, I believe they're the Gotohs shown on the Web site (see below). I don't know what they build the current models with. If you're interested, you might want to ask Alain.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I met and jammed a little with someone from Nova Scotia last year at Django in June. Could that have been you? Are you going this year?

Craig

Woops, I missed that part of your note. That was me you jammed with. I'm second from the left on our Website (holding a Manouche Modele Jazz; the other guitarist is holding my Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus, which I was playing at Django in June last year):
    http://www.myspace.com/swingology

Unfortunately, no, I can't go this year, and it is killing me. A conflict came up that I can't get out of. I'm not going to be a happy camper during that week! I'll probably miss the jams more than anything. Next year I'm coming back no matter what. Only a death in the family (preferably my own) will keep me away!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Wow! Rara avis!!!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    That's the nicest Dell' Arte I've ever seen, congratulations!
  • waldenjazzwaldenjazz Thoreau, NMNew
    I Couldn't agree more Elliot!!! Congrats Ben, it's beautiful! Thanks for sending back the old tuners, rec them last week. Your new guitar has the scale length I prefer... really nice.

Robert
    waldenjazz wrote:
    I Couldn't agree more Elliot!!! Congrats Ben, it's beautiful! Thanks for sending back the old tuners, rec them last week. Your new guitar has the scale length I prefer... really nice.

Robert

You're welcome, Rob, and thanks for your great support on the Manouche!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    That's a beauty! Congrats.

If it's not too indiscreet,... may I ask how much did you pay for it?
    Sorry, Alain asked me to keep that confidential. This one was on consignment and is not like the ones they would normally build (solid maple instead of laminate, for instance). If you're interested, just send him an e-mail at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@****">info@****</a><!-- e -->. He will tell you everything you need to know. Mention that you saw mine on djangobooks. He is one great dude.

I will say that if you ask him to build you one, the price will be very reasonable. The laminated rosewood model is the least expensive, walnut or maple costing more.

I understand that they will also build a Favino-sized instrument to the same spec - short scale 14 fret D hole. The Tchavolo Schmitt model can be seen here:
    (http://www.****/prodDetail_guitar.php?catid=5&pid=1658)

The short scale Anouman (Selmer-sized) should cost way less than the Tchavolo, depending on choice of wood, of course.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles