DjangoBooks.com

Glue Question for Gitane Guitar

WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
Hi ~

One of the moustache ends on my DG-320 popped out.

I was changing strings and I removed the bridge off the guitar to clean around the bridge area when the top end popped ---the side closer to the low 6th/ E string.

I am willing to take it to a local shop so someone can glue it back on but I'd ideally like to save some money by doing it myself. It looks like a simple enough job as I would only have to place the bridge on and then glue the moustache end back on (there is an outline of where the moustache end rested before because the guitar has a visual tan line which shows the contrast).

Does anyone know what type of glue I could buy? If so, where to go? Is this a terrible idea to do it on my own, should I just go to a shop and get charged $60 or more?

Thanks for your time & any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Go to your local hobby shop and get some medium viscosity CA. That will do it but make sure you get it back in the right place because the CA will fog the finish if you have to move it and replace.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Thank you Josh! That's great news & just what I needed to hear.

Cheers & many thanks
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    If you want to use a more "authentic" glue that does not have the corrosive attributes of CA (cyanoacrylate), try homemade hide glue.

You can mix up a quick batch by blending 1 part dry unflavored gelatin ("Knox"-brand in the States) with 3 parts water. Let stand for an hour and then bring the gelled mix to 140F (60C) to make it liquid and sticky. Apply a drop or two to the mustache end and press into place. Hold it there under finger pressure for about a minute and let dry complete overnight.

Any excess glue that squeezes out can be cleaned up with a warm damp cloth. No danger of damaging the finish.
  • ddoneillddoneill ✭✭✭✭
    i thought double-sided sticky tape was the preferred solution. i know it would be for me simply because it's almost impossible to screw it up, and that's important for people like me
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    ddoneill wrote:
    i thought double-sided sticky tape was the preferred solution. i know it would be for me simply because it's almost impossible to screw it up, and that's important for people like me

I have misgivings about DS tape. It adds unnecessary bulk, is visible from the side and has questionable longevity, both in adhesive and substrate.

When I repair an instrument, I try to match the original materials and techniques as closely as possible. For example, I would never refinish an antique instrument using a modern polyurethane coating. Not only is that just wrong, but I try to think of the repair-person who will come after me. For those who have tried to repair a poly finish on a modern guitar, you know whereof I speak.

Sure, CA adhesive has its place on newer instruments (inlays, binding,...), but DS tape makes me cringe. It feels so wrong....
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    When I bought my Dupont the bass side moustache was loose, Jacques Mazzoleni told me to use white carpenters glue, just a little dab, and apply some pressure.
    I got it right the second time using masking tape to secure it in place and press it down overnight.
    It's still there.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Thanks guys, I'll see what I can find at the arts/crafts store near my place and report back. The Ca glue looks good to me for the price ($3.99 online-- oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about)

Cheers again & many thanks !
    Mehran s
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    On the hide glue... You could use that but you would want to take any old glue from the factory off first. Saga uses CA and the hide glue will not bond to the old CA. In fact the hide glue might not bond to the poly. finish either. If it were a different guitar I might say to use hide glue but in this case I would use CA.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    WowBobWow wrote:
    The Ca glue looks good to me for the price ($3.99 online-- oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about)

I think CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue is sold as Krazy Glue, Super Glue, etc. You can find it in most any hardware, convenience or grocery store, usually less than $3.00 a tube. I bought three tubes for a dollar at the local Dollar Store.

CB