DjangoBooks.com

Wanted... a beater GJ Guitar to travel with.

dholedhole Park City, UTNew
edited May 2008 in Classifieds Posts: 17
I want a guitar to practice with when I'm on the road. It's going to get banged around a bit. On and off airplanes alot. So I'm looking for a cheap used gypsy style guitar. In the $300-500 range or less. Looks and finish don't matter. Just got to be fun to play and set up well. I'll be using it for travel in a soft side gig bag.

I don't want to take my dell arte on the road.

Any recommendations?? Got any beaters? Should I stay away from any particular models. I don't want junk.

Thanks
Michael M
in Seattle

Comments

• TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    You can buy my Gitane DG250 for $425 including shipping, I hate to call it a beater but thats basically what it is. For such a low price, the Gitanes are easy to play and have a great feel, just not the greatest sounding, but still not bad. Check out my classified post if interested.

Otherwise I might check out one of those Ciganos, I've heard they're pretty nice for how cheap they are.
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Let me throw this one out there. What do you *require* as to sound? If all you want is a six-string practice guitar for travel (and, trust me, I know the hassles of THAT!)...

I submit for your consideration:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem. ... &ovtac=CMP

The price can't be beat (except for a Yard Sale find), it's small and if it gets mangled... you may miss playing "Tears," but you won't shed any.

-k
    Bleh ... imo those little Martins are horrid. :cry: imo.

Though I did take one to Europe with me and it was guitar bud for the entire summer. :wink:

Love-hate, I guess.
  • dholedhole Park City, UTNew
    I have an traveler Ultra lite very portable But I don't like playing it.

Thanks But I don't care for the martin backpacker.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    I use a parlor guitar with argentines, its awesome. The smaller parlor size makes it easy to bring on the plane, and the gypsy strings give you the feel and sound you want. Granted it wont sound like a dupont, but it will do the job with enough volume for its intended purpose. I agree with the other post that little martins are not that good. The big thing to look for in a parlor guitar which is quite common is a good wide nut vs many "travel" guitars with narrow nuts. I use a fullerton blackwood ($200), they dont sell them anymore but you can find it on this link:

http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=4

There are many of these style guitars around under $350.[/url]
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    my personal choice would be a Cigano CJ-10 ( http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/detail ... ctID=GJ-10 ).
  • dholedhole Park City, UTNew
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a Cigano GJ-10 from Michael Horowitz.

Thanks to Michael for his service to the GJ community.