DjangoBooks.com

Get this book!

drollingdrolling New
edited April 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 153
No affiliations. No questions either. Not yet anyway...

I'm just posting for the benefit of those who, like myself, have been struggling in the dark with this style of music. It was frustrating grabbing licks off of old LPs and trying to execute them on the wrong guitar with the wrong technique and I was thrilled when instructional material finally started surfacing in recent years. I've accumulated quite a pile, but I just wish that I'd been able to start with "Gypsy Picking".

For sure, learning can be painful, tedious and boring - but I'm pulling more tone out of my guitar than I realized possible after just one week with this book. And when I get really beaten down, I just sneak ahead to those fancy arpeggios and wait till the bleeding stops.

Seriously tho', I haven't got this much out of a music book since I picked up Mickey Baker's "How to Play Jazz Guitar" 35 years ago, and I never got past the 26 'essential' chords on page 1.

This was clearly a labour of love on Michael's part, and it shows on every page. I got some real nice persian carpets in the studio, but I wouldn't have gone all the way over there to get them myself. I'm not much of a camper either, so working with this book may be as close as I'll ever come to sitting around the caravan soaking up knowledge from the source.

Required reading.

Comments

• nuagesnuages central ar.✭✭✭
    I just ordered "Gypsy Picking" myself and after reading so many positive things about it I can't wait to get started. I haven't been this excited about practicng guitar since I first started. GJ is a very infectious style of playing guitar for sure.

(Seriously tho', I haven't got this much out of a music book since I picked up Mickey Baker's "How to Play Jazz Guitar" 35 years ago, and I never got past the 26 'essential' chords on page 1.)

LOL..I've got that same book. I remember spending hours upon hours working with it. A very good book IMO.

Jimmy