DjangoBooks.com

Is the Fake Book project still on ?

Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
edited July 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 542
Dear all,

I am little surprised not to hear about this project anymore ? Is anyone still working on it ?

For those who haven't followed the story, let me recap :

The idea was to create a Real / Fake Book of Gypsy tunes, or let say tunes usually played within the Gypsy Jazz microcosm. There's already lots of stuff available to everyone, but some of these books have too much, and others not enough... and obviously guitar tabs don't really help a violinist or a clarinetist.

When this project started, there was a huge excitement on the forum. But I think it was only a flash in the pan.
I am still convinced there's a need for such a book. Well, at least I need it !

I am working on it. With the tunes I did, those I borrowed and the ones from the Peterson's project, I have about 150 tunes down with the goal of having at least twice as many. My plan is to finish it for this summer.

My requests here are :

1. If you have a Django's Tiger eye and experience in it, to proof-read my stuff as I work on it.

2. Vast majority are Django tunes, plus the usual American Classics and some more recent GJ tunes.
But if you think there's a specific tune, maybe a little "exotic" (like a tune from Lafertin or Hot Club de Norvege) that you really love and would like to see in it, please send me your notes, and I'll format them and add the tune to the book.

3. Any other input is welcome...

If you think you can give me a hand, I'd appreciate it. But don't get too excited, it will still take some time and will probably be very painfull !
I'd be happy to share the book with the forum when it's done.
I am going to finish it anyway, but it will take a little longer if I am just on my own.

Send me pm if you are interested.
Looking fwrd to hearing from some of you :wink:
-JG
- JG

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    That project got killed by spammers. If someone wants to setup a new Fakebook site then I would say that it is a good opportunity to do it but I would highly recommend choosing a WIKI that has support for blocking spammers.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think the spammers, while annoying, didn't kill the project. Chris, who spearheaded the effort, just got busy with other stuff. At the same time, Matt Mitchell's great Fakebook pdf starting making the rounds and I think a lot of people just decided that was good enough for their purposes--I recently interviewed a local violinist for an article, and though he's never been on the forum he mentioned that someone had just sent him a copy of Matt's book...it really took off after the project was set in motion. That said, the site is still up and worth using.

If you're interested in keeping it going, I'd recommend looking at these two pages to make it easier...
    http://petersonmusic.com/wiki/index.php ... :Imagelist
    http://petersonmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Song_list

The first shows what is already uploaded; by looking at the second you can find all the songs needed. Of course, you should feel free to add more to the list if you don't see what you want there. The more the better, in my opinion! I'm happy to help where I can, but my reading isn't great; I'd probably be more help with the harmony.

best,
    Jack.
  • Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
    edited July 2008 Posts: 44
    zz
    zz
    zz
    zz
    zz
    zz
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I want to extend my thanks to you Matt, for your and Allin's generosity with your Hot Club of Tucson Fakebook. I have the old copy which I share with colleagues, and it's great, and fills out the holes in my own charts.

I've compiled and posted online one a similar fake book of my own over the years for the benefit of a Django mailing list we started here in Massachusetts in 2007. My FB, which I call the GJchartBook, is not cosmetically pristine, but it serves well to bring new players into our fold by providing a canon, or basic reference book, of the best known and most played Django tunes that local musicians can share at jam sessions so we're all on the same page. I initially posted it for selfish motives: I just wanted to attract more musicians to jam with. But I found that when you give a little, you get a lot. Perhaps you could educate me on what happens when you give a lot! :)

Gratefully,

~Rob
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Matt,
    I am very impressed with all the work you did.
    I am happy to say that the list of tunes I've been working on on my side doesn't exactly match yours.
    If you like to idea, I'd be happy to give you my files so that you can add them to your fake book. It should likely bring it to somewhere between 250 and 300 then.
    Let me know what you think,
    -JG
    - JG