DjangoBooks.com

Buying Guitars in France

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
edited June 2008 in Welcome Posts: 605
I want to treat myself this year but I only have around 1,000 euro.
Ideally I want a decent D hole that I can use as my gigging guitar-my main instrument being a manouche moreno.
Do RF charles have anything around this price???

Let me know your experiences

{
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    I doubt it. Perhaps you' d better visit Guitar Village, Domont... if you're lucky you may find some good occasion there at that price (but not presently...)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can try a Dupont Nomade, I have one and it's really good as a gigging and travel guitar... if you find a good one it might even give your Manouche a run for it's money.
    Other options are a Pattenote, some asian Gallatos, or if you get really lucky you might find something better used for that price.
    Castelluccia makes a good guitar for a little over 1000 euros: Castelluccia
    A good place to check for used instruments: Manoucheries classifieds I've seen lots of great instruments around there in the past going for the dough you have including Dupont MD100, Alves de Puga, Fontaine, Castellucia.

Good luck!!
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    The Pattenotte would be perfect buddy, Thanks for the heads up guys
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Then you HAVE to go to Guitar Village:

http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion ... zz_313.php

http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion ... zz_310.php

These guitars have HUGE necks, so you' d better try them before buying. I'd go for the cheap one (laminated top I'm afraid, but I've tried some nice ones, though a bit quiet). I know there are people here who strongly feel for Patenottes, but I wouldn't spend 720 euro for a second hand one...
    Patenotte Modèle 255

300 €..Bargain

Laminate top though..My old man always told me 'never play cards with a woman and only buy a solid top'
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Otherwise you can still buy a Gitane DG300 "Jorgensen" it is really an amazing instrument with a loud sound and a typical sound even on solo- It will cost less than that sum in France but even less in the States.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    For a combat guitar you might want to consider adding a Bigtone pickup as well as a light case or gigbag.

You can get a Gitane 320, with setup and a Bigtone for the money you have, not a bad deal if you ask me.
    For handmade I'd go for either Pattenote, Dupont Nomade or Castelluccia, and as always try before you buy.

If you're not in a hurry keep checking the classifieds until a good used guitar comes around, I have occasionally seen used Duponts MD100s for 1000euro.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Thanks so much guys, it really helps. Ideally I want a Killy Nonnis in a few years but thats out of the question at the minute. Unless he gives me one for being such a refined drinker and general good egg in Samois.

Look out for my tent-The one with the sloppy pomp and the ulster flag

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hello again, I am in a similar postion, looking for something round about the 800-1000 euros. One guitar I've been looking at is the Petite Bouche oval hole from Harmsworth and Willis. Check out their website www.harmsworthandwillis.co.uk I think they're pretty spot on for sound and cost. They get good reviews from Harmony Central and I think they're definitely on a par - at least - with the upper end Gitanes. Nev Willis will be at Samois and I'm hoping to catch up with him to have a play on his guitar. Might be worth considering.

regards
    always learning
  • aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
    you know for the price the hamsworth and willis is very tempting, i must say ! for the specs alone they sound like authentic selmac copys, but whos knows i would love to play one... i myself am thinking of picking one up.. although my goal is to get busato in a year or so.. ive played just about every low to mid range gj there is lol so i think its time for a upgrade heh!!!