DjangoBooks.com

All of Me: Tune of the Month, June '06

Comments

• CorneliusCornelius san franciscoNew
    Jack wrote:
    And Dennis' transcription of Django's 1940 take:
    http://tinyurl.com/o6cnw

This is an awesome thread! I've been transcribing Django's great solo myself, but i'd love to check out Dennis'. Unfortunately, I can't open the file. What do you need to open a .ptb file?
    thanks!
  • CorneliusCornelius san franciscoNew
    ok, i just read vince's post before mine which answered my question... :oops:
  • schimmelschimmel New
    Cornelius wrote:
    Jack wrote:
    And Dennis' transcription of Django's 1940 take:
    http://tinyurl.com/o6cnw

This is an awesome thread! I've been transcribing Django's great solo myself, but i'd love to check out Dennis'. Unfortunately, I can't open the file. What do you need to open a .ptb file?
    thanks!

Powertab: http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
  • TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    great song, I've recently revisited it. (it was one of the first tunes I learned in the Django style)

I am wondering though, what chords are people using at the end of song as a tag or coda? I've been simply just playing D9 (bar 29) G7 (bar 30) then up to E9 then A7, then back to D9, G7 then of course ending on C. It works, but I know there is a better way to do it, just can't work it out.

What endings are you guys doing?

Thanks in advance,

~Tim
  • PaganiniPaganini New
    I know that mostly the end is repeated twice, so that would be Dm7 G7
    I would say this is because of the way it's normaly ended by a singer.
    But you can also go from Dm7 G7 to Em7 A7 and finishing Dm7 G7 and C

I did some improvising over the backingtrack of Stephane Wrembel a while ago. I know there are some less fluent moments in this improvisation but I like this song, it's easy to solo over and you can try lots a ideas.

Unfortunately not yet played with my new ALD which I bought here and which is sounding really really good :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRfYQXDjlGU
  • ThojoThojo San FranciscoNew
    This is my first post on this forum, and I'm going to jump right in with a geeky question: How should I be thinking about the E7 in this progression? Should I think of it as a phrygian with a raised third? or should I be thinking mixolydian over this chord? Does anybody have thoughts on this?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Thojo,

I'd say neither...just E7 or maybe Fdim (E7b9). In other words, concentrate on the arpeggio, not a mode. Maybe try adding some of that in for flavor, but most of the sound will probably come out of the basic arp and accompanying ornamentations. Gypsy jazz tends to be simpler, theory wise, than straightahead stuff.

And don't worry about geeky questions--we love those. Welcome aboard.

best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I think of that E7 as the V of Am, it just doesn't resolve to minor but to another dominant instead.

In terms of scales I like to use E altered sometimes but most of the time I'll use arpeggios like F diminished as Jack said above.

Harmonic minor licks are often employed for that E7, think of it the same as the E7 in Minor swing, you can even resolve it to Am (implying A7+9), just be sure to raise that C to C# (you can still keep the C) afterward to make the A an A7 going to Dm.

Denis Chang's DVDs feature a lot of cool ideas to play over these changes/ chords.
  • YehoshuaYehoshua New
    Wow - this is really great! I'm learning so much from this one thread.
    Thanks to all the contributers. Now I've got to go back and see what I've missed in all the back episodes of Repertoire.

Yehoshua
  • La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Hi All

I'm looking for a transcription of Django's solo from "All of me" and came across this thread - looks like I was 4 years too late though!

In the thread there is a link to Denis's transcription of Django's 1940 solo, but the link is long-dead.

Does anyone have a fresh link to this transcription, or a copy of the transcription that they could possibly email me to study?

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave