DjangoBooks.com

and now a question on gravity...

edited May 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 145
i've noticed something in regards to how my hand falls on the strings. i try and use gravity, but a lot of the times i feel like i'm using the release of tension in my muscles to have the pick drive through the strings.

kinda like how an elastic band returns to its original shape after stretching it and releasing the tension. is this correct to be using this force as a way to add momentum to your attack?

i'm assuming it's not, but i'm finding it extremely difficult to isolate this motion from using gravity alone. now i'm never sure if i'm using gravity alone to get this motion...

Comments

• KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    Slow down and you'll know.

K
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I think gravity is the key...watch Fapy's right hand in this video: Fapy

Same with Bireli: Bireli

He's so relaxed...just popping the strings using gravity. When done correctly, it feels really relaxed, just like shaking out a match.

Good luck!

'm
    BlueSkies
    i don't think i can get much slower than 40bpm.

anyways, thanks a bunch!

man, i've been getting so frustrated that i almost threw my guitar. :lol:

and i used to think steve vai solos were hard...
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i've been practicing with bireli's hand, and i've noticed that gravity does so much of the work. in fact, i often need to remind myself to put some energy into those up strokes. when i think about effort, i think only upstrokes. maybe that's a little backwards, but it looks "right" and i definitely feel the control (at slow tempos) i'm hoping this is what it should feel like. would do you think michael?

oh yeah, i've been craning my wrist like crazy. i never stretch my hand in order to go from string to string.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    a wrote:
    i've been practicing with bireli's hand, and i've noticed that gravity does so much of the work. in fact, i often need to remind myself to put some energy into those up strokes. when i think about effort, i think only upstrokes. maybe that's a little backwards, but it looks "right" and i definitely feel the control (at slow tempos) i'm hoping this is what it should feel like. would do you think michael?

oh yeah, i've been craning my wrist like crazy. i never stretch my hand in order to go from string to string.

You definitely have to follow through on the upstrokes. For some reason it never feels like very much effort, even though you're obviously going against gravity.

The only time I consciously use force is on the swept strokes, especially if there's several strings being swept in a row. You don't have the advantage of gravity, so you need a little muscle to push the pick through each string.

'm