DjangoBooks.com

Good book for GJ chord shapes?

TommasinoTommasino Alexandria, VANew
edited May 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 30
I have browsed Djangobooks.com's list for a good tome on GJ chords. Since there are quite a few on the subject, I thought I'd ask if there is one that people here found particularly helpful and stylistically accurate.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    You might take a look at Michael's online lesson (Beyond Three Note Voicings). I also seem to remember the Astuces book (Debarre/Daussat) being good for voicings. Not sure if M. sells that one.

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'll have the Astuces book soon. That has a few of the basic voicings. The Pearl Django book is also a good starting point...Greg and I actually wrote several alternate versions of songs using all the advanced Gypsy voicings. Those are great chord studies for learning the authentic Gypsy style.

The Unaccompanied Djangobook is the biggest resource for authentic Gypsy voicings....it's the only book with chords that Django ACTUALLY played. Beautiful stuff....really clever use of substitutions, cool turn arounds, and some neat reharminaztion techniques.

The Cosimini books are nice too. He tends to prefer more streamlined modern sounding chords...but good to know!

Good luck!

'm
  • TommasinoTommasino Alexandria, VANew
    Thanks, guys.

I have purchased Michael's online lessons, and I found them very enlightening. I am just trying to make sure that I don't develop the "wrong" voicings as I try to adapt what I think I know about GJ to many 1930's standards.

I notice that I tend to favor 4-part chords played with our without a muted string. But as any developing habit, I am worried about incorporating any mistakes that will eventually become permanent.

Tom
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    there are some chord shape charts at gadjodrom.com also...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    You'll also find a slew of shapes here:
    http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/accords/accords_index.html

Best,
    Jack.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    wow, Nuages de Swing has a nice presentation of chords... unfortunately a beginner looking at the site would have no idea on which chord voicings are most important to learn...
    i'd say, general rule of thumb is to learn all the six string voicings.