DjangoBooks.com

Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited October 2008 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
For sale: lovely Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus gypsy jazz guitar, 1999 model built by hand by John Kinnard in San Diego CA. Serial # 109955.

This guitar features a D-shaped sound hole, 12 frets to the body, short scale (640mm), cutaway, Bilardi tailpiece (itself a rarity these days), spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides.

It also includes a professionally installed Schatten Selmer/ Maccaferri passive pickup with endpin jack.

When I purchased the guitar, there were two cracks in the soundboard that had resulted from the previous owner tripping onstage. The cracks had been repaired, but poorly. The cracks were not glued well, the finish was not sealed, they missed a loose brace, and a small thumb-sized piece of top would actually move up and down if pressed with a finger.

I have since had my own excellent luthier redo the work, which included thoroughly cleaning and regluing the cracks, regluing the loose brace, and retouching the finish with a laquer stick. The cracks are now purely cosmetic, the top and finish are solid, plus the sound was greatly improved.

This is a great rhythm instrument, with a nice open woody sound, and LOUD. The volume sometimes startles people who are not prepared for it. It also is a nice solo guitar. The tone is not as nasal and trebly and cutting as an oval hole model but may be more pleasing to someone who is accustomed to a flattop or other acoustic guitar. Ted Gottsegen declared it to be a fine rhythm instrument at last year's Django in June.

I put this up for sale a while back, then withdrew it after the repairs, because the sound was so much improved. The Schatten was added then, and I used it as my gigging instrument instead of my Manouche oval, because I decided that I find the short scale more comfortable. Reason for selling now is that I recently bought a Dell'Arte special order Anouman (short scale 14 fret D hole), which has become my main gigging guitar.

$1200 or best reasonable offer takes it. Hard shell case is included. More pics available on request.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Ben you still have this?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I do - am sending you a PM.

Thanks ...
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Sold.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    mine mine mine !!!