DjangoBooks.com

Use of microphones by top players

Nearly every video I have seen shows them using a microphone. Why would this be when I thought the reason for using a pickup was to avoid
feedback and the pickup didn't give an accurate tone? What is the pickup
used by Angelo as shown here and how much do they cost?

http://sexapilelevrai.free.fr/Sicordes/ ... barre1.avi

Dave

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The top players use mics simply because they can. Feedback isn't a problem when you play in concert halls with a good house sound system and a sound man to run it. However, most of us perform in less then ideal circumstances (i.e. no PA, no sound man, loud disinterested audience, etc.). So a feedback resistant pu is the way to go.

However, many top pros still use amps on stage. It insures they get a similar sound night after night. It's what they're used to. John Jorgenson does all his concerts with the Schertler DYN and the Unico amp.

'm
  • tomdavytomdavy laguna beach caNew
    I am also curious as to the specific make/ model of the mic used by Bireli. When I was able to see his Hahl up close it seemed to me that it was a Audio Techinca lapel mic with a hook that he simply placed over the lip of the rosette.

-Tom
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    The top players use mics simply because they can. Feedback isn't a problem when you play in concert halls with a good house sound system and a sound man to run it. However, most of us perform in less then ideal circumstances (i.e. no PA, no sound man, loud disinterested audience, etc.). So a feedback resistant pu is the way to go.

However, many top pros still use amps on stage. It insures they get a similar sound night after night. It's what they're used to. John Jorgenson does all his concerts with the Schertler DYN and the Unico amp.

'm

For what it's worth, Jorgenson had possibly the best 'acoustic' sound I've heard live-at some point or another, all of us there mentioned that we'd forgotten he wasn't live & acoustic. Amazing.

Best,
    Jack.