DjangoBooks.com

RIP Bamboula Ferret...

Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
edited October 2011 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 246
One sad , sad news to arrive in times of happy DFNW days, and which I don't think was posted here - sorry if it has been.

Eddy "Bamboula" Ferret passed on the 25th of september.

Not much can be found about him, but he was a man of passion and a wonderful musican. He was almost 90, and must have spent at least 80 of those years on earth as a musician, including his wonderful works with Fapy.

He'll be missed !
"There's no business like shoe business"

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Ivan -- I too am very sadden to hear this news. The work with Bamboula and Fapy are my absolute favorite Gypsy jazz recordings. I received them from the late Mary Honcoop and will forever be in debt to her for these precious recordings. Watching the Rosenbergs at DFNW this year gave me much time to think about and remember Mary and her generosity and contributions to Gypsy jazz. For years I thought Bamboula was deceased, and only in the past few years I realize he was alive. I'd hoped to meet him in this world, but instead it will have to be at the great jam session in the otherworld with Django and the other Gypsy spirits. Mary wil be watching; I'm sure Dudley and Michael will be playing...

A.E.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    So sorry to here this...his CD with Fapy is an all time classic recording. I'm thankful that he blessed us with this recording.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Ah, <i>requiescat in pace</i>, Bamboula. I am also a great fan of those recordings with Fapy. Sounds like a very genial fellow.

I think Michael Dregni wrote about him in his new book.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Perhaps a requiem is in order? Who else could sing it but the Chanteur himself. I don't know what this song means or who wrote it or whom else has sung it - but when I think of him I think of this song.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    It was originally sung by French-Egyptian singer Dalida (!)

lyrics here :
    http://www.geocities.com/ha_hammer/melodieperdue.htm

Dalida's version :)

http://www.deezer.com/#music/result/all ... e%20perdue
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    Mélodie des jours heureux
    ----Melody of happy days
    Tu es resté là bas
    ----youstayed down there

Sous les toits d'un vieux faubourg
    ----'neath the roofs of an old village
    Ou les amours sont rois
    ----where love is king

Un violon venait la nuit
    ----A violin came at night
    Dans notre nid là haut
    ----In our nest, up there
    Nous bercer jusqu'au petit jour
    ----and "lullabied" us til dawn
    D'une mélodie d'amour
    ----with a love melody

Mélodie des jours heureux
    ----Melody of happy days
    Tu es si loin si loin
    --- You are far, so far away
    Seul ami d'un rêve enfui
    ----Only friend of a vanished dream
    Au paradis perdu
    ----In paradise lost

Tu n'es plus tu n'es plus rien
    ----You are nothing, nothing more
    Qu'un vieux refrain connu
    ----Than an old refrain remembered
    Qui s'ennuie et traîne les rues
    ---- bored and hanging around in the streets
    Je ne t'entends plus
    ---- I don't hear you anymore
    Tu as disparu
    ---- You disappeared
    Toi la mélodie perdue.
    ----You, the lost melodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

Although Bamboula has only used a part of these original lyrics...
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Wow - thank you Ivan. It's a beautiful song. Maybe now that I know the lyrics I wouldn't have picked it as a requiem - maybe La Vie En Rose would be a happier requiem - But it's a beautiful song and the lyrics are meaningful. Hmmm, or maybe it's a perfect requiem. I was in a few classical choirs in school. We sang many requiems and none of them were cheerful songs.

Thanks again,

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Hi all

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I've only recently heard "Oe Djoevia", and was really moved by Bamboula's singing, and the way in which Fapy's impeccably tasteful restrained playing perfectly complements every line sung by Bamboula.

"Melodie Perdue" and "I Leida" are my two favourite recordings on this CD, but I can't find much information about either song.

I eventually found a copy of the original 1958 sheet music & lyrics for "Melodie Perdue" as sung by "Les Compagnons De La Chanson" in a bookshop in Bordeaux.
    I've attached a scanned copy for your interest.

There is also a recording of this version at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfVAo4xbClE

However, I much prefer the Bamboula/Fapy version!

I've been unable to find anything on "I Leida".

I have started transcribing both, and will post my efforts when I get a moment.

If anyone can help out with the lyrics / translation for "I Leida", and with the transcriptions for "I Leida" and "Melodie Perdue" I'd be very grateful.

Best wishes

Dave
    (UK)
  • La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Dear all

Following on from my last posting, attached please find my first attempt at transcribing the chords for Bamboula's version of "Melodie Perdue" in Guitar Pro format.

I'm not familiar with Fapy's playing style, so if you know of more authentic chord voicings, or if any of my chords just sound plain wrong, please change them on the .gp5 document and re-post as version 2, 3, etc. so we can all benefit.

I've also included a version in pdf format for any readers who don't have access to Guitar Pro.

Best wishes

Dave
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Wow sad news!!! RIP
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.