DjangoBooks.com

6/8 La Pompe

QueenbeeQueenbee New
edited October 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 21
Do gypsies ever play anything in 6/8 time? Is there such a thing as a 6/8 version of la pompe? By 6/8 I mean something like a jig based upon triplets rather than something slow enough to be some sort of jazzy waltz.

Thanks,
M.

Comments

• marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    The Bireli tune Made in France works well played "with 6 feel". The version I am familiar with is the Vienna DVD, and I really dig what Bireli does, though its a bit different than 6 feel at times. It sounnds very flamenco. Sylvain Luc is great on that too, of course. I tend to do pretty much what I would do on most other 6/8 jazz tunes, except for downstroke accents where I approximate what Bireli does there. I also do this tune with electric trio, on solidbody electric with drums. It sounds modern.

Mike
    ...but I wouldn't call it "pompe", which in my mind refers to a specific 4/4 rhythm.

Mike
  • QueenbeeQueenbee New
    Thanks for the Bireli suggestion - lots of exciting things going on there rhythm wise but the Made in France track feels more like a jazzy 3/4 thing to me than 6/8.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on this board about Michael backing Irish musicians with La Pompe and wonder what he played for jigs.

Thanks for your help,
    M.
    Not sure what Michael does, but I have seen Celtic players, notably John Doyle, using DUDDUD strum pattern for 6/8 jigs. I also have an instructional video of him demonstrating it that way. (In analogy with single-note triplets using rest-stroke in gypsy jazz)

Mike
  • dulcimistdulcimist New
    This doesn't speak necessarily to guitar playing, but Richard Galliano has several musette waltzs that he has written. On his recordings you can often hear the rhythm section drifting in and out between 3/4 and 6/8. It's a really great effect, I think. Often, it's just the drums and bass that do this.