DjangoBooks.com

Bireli's internal soundhole mic

It looks like he has a small lav mic mounted inside the soundhole on his D-hole guitars. Does anyone know what it is? I'd also like to know what he's using for a live rig/setup. It looks like he doesn't use a pickup and relies on an external and an internal mic run through the PA.

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    i read on the other forum that it's a sure Beta98/S
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    also keep in mind that Bireli's setup won't work for the vast majority of people. If you're an international superstar and have the luxury of playing in the world's best venues equipped with state of the art sound systems then you might try Bireli's setup. But if you do most of your gigs at the local pizza parlor then forget it, you'll need a pickup like the rest of us. :D
  • guit_boxguit_box New
    I've been performing with the AT831B lav mic for a couple years and it works nice in some situations and less well in others. It always works best with a PA and in about 1/2 of my gigs I have a PA available so I can use my AER as a monitor and keep the sound low and avoid feedback. I do wish I had an amp with a little more low end/fullness than the AER can provide, but I also don't wish to carry around anything too heavy so ...oh well. Recently I've been using a custom bridge with a bone saddle and undersaddle element and mixing that signal with the lav mic and that seems to work well because in a noisy room it's harder to get the mic loud enough, but the piezo adds some low end and the mic brings back some of the natural acoustic sound. I compared the spec sheet for the shure and the at831b and the AT has a flatter frequency response. The shure actually gets brighter above 10k, so my guess is that since I don't need the mic to be brighter, the AT is probably better for my usage. So far this mixing combination of piezo/lav mic is the best combination I've found, but I still get complaints that the sound is not as good as the mic by itself. But there are just some situations, like playing with a horn section, when I don't even bother hooking the mic up.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    also keep in mind that Bireli's setup won't work for the vast majority of people. If you're an international superstar and have the luxury of playing in the world's best venues equipped with state of the art sound systems then you might try Bireli's setup. But if you do most of your gigs at the local pizza parlor then forget it, you'll need a pickup like the rest of us. :D

well what if the local pizza parlor had a state of the art sound system? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I have had this dream of a live gypsy jazz pizza parlor for some time now.... Humm, mental note: factor in state of the art sound system.

Craig
  • GuitarangeloGuitarangelo ✭✭
    Deep dish pizza and live gypsy jazz. Now that sounds great!
    well what if the local pizza parlor had a state of the art sound system? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like this place in London? (Where Bireli often performs)

http://www.pizzaexpresslive.com
    [quote="guit_box"]I do wish I had an amp with a little more low end/fullness than the AER can provide, but I also don't wish to carry around anything too heavy so ...oh well. .[/quote]

that's the AER's downfall, very midrangey. If you want something light that sounds great with mics then this is hard to beat! Has a 10" speaker and only weights 22lbs. Also has a notch filter which is nice for feedback control:

• BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

Do you know how a Dyn-g would sound thru it?
    Bones wrote:
    Do you know how a Dyn-g would sound thru it?

Sounds great with a DYN...arguably better then a Schertler Unico!

'm