DjangoBooks.com

The STory of Selmer Guitars is back

crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
edited January 2009 in Welcome Posts: 921
Hi all

the Story of Selmer Guitars is back, 2nd edition available as a paperback from Dec 08.

Available from rf charle, Paris - 75 euro plus postage ( check for cost to US )

here's the djangostation announcement link http://www.djangostation.com/

regards
Alan
always learning

Comments

• richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    a $97 paper back?!....ugh
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Expensive ? Maybe, but consider this, the original book often comes up for sale at hundreds of dollars. And it is a fantastic book - a friend of mine loaned me his first edition for a while so I know what I'm getting in terms of content. Great pictures, construction details and information about Favinos and Busatos.

It's maybe a bit expensive but it is about the only book of its type out there.
    always learning
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Since I have the hardcover, I am wondering if there are any additions or updates to the paperback edition, or is it exactly the same. Does anyone know?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    On the website "Django Station" it is stated that the only difference is the soft-cover
    http://www.djangostation.com/Re-edition ... es,1009.ht
    kind regards
    Frans
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks, Frans.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I'm on it. Thanks.

I'm glad Charle got smart on this... a paperback version still gives the people who bought the hardback their 'collectors' value but it also allows people who want this information to have it. I borrowed the book and photocopied pictures of a couple of the jigs - probably not the only person to do that. But I'd much rather have the book and $100 is... well... I've certainly spent more money on sillier things I guess.

It was only a matter of time before he republished or someone scanned it and put it out on usenet. I'm glad he wised up. I've been trying to buy this book for a small car payment for years now... had two sellers up to the table and both backed out because they decided they wanted to keep it. It's a darned good reference to have around when doing refurb work on traditional gypsy jazz instruments. Actually - I'm glad it's paperback. I'll probably drill a hole through the binding and hang it on a nail above my bench. Collectible value in what is essentially a reference book... sheesh ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Has anyone received their book yet?
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there, I got mine about two weeks ago. But everythings buggered with the Christmas post, anyway I finally get it tomorrow morning.

Best wishes
    always learning
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Elderly just listed a hardcover copy for $370...
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I got my copy from gypsyguitars.com last week. Very quick delivery.
    -fopa