DjangoBooks.com

Bireli solo extra on Jazz a Vienne DVD

conradconrad Toronto, CanadaNew
edited December 2008 in Welcome Posts: 23
Hi, guys,

You know that solo at the end of the "instant voles" extra from the Jazz a Vienne DVD? Is this a tune Bireli or anyone else has recorded? I don't recognize it. And has anyone transcribed this piece? If not, I will go ahead and try it myself but I wanted to ask around if it exists before I waste my time. Thanks!!! :)

Conrad

Comments

Ironically, I was watching that clip again earlier today.

I have always assumed that it was mostly improvised on the spot. Bireli appears to have the ability to express his musical thoughts pretty much instantaneously through the guitar. His never-ending creativity is one of his greatest strengths.
  • conradconrad Toronto, CanadaNew
    Thanks. Ya, I thought the same as you. And I don't recognize the melody, so to speak. I think it has a really beautiful arch, though. I guess I'll work it out unless someone comes forward with a tab. Not that I'll be able to play it but it's nice to see what's going on and learn a thing or two.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If you like Bireli solo playing check out his album "To bi or not to Bi", cheesy title but beautiful playing.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    yeah, what the hell is up with that title? I never got it...
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Bi in French is pronounced as we pronounce Be, so it is just like Shakespeare I suppose...

They say that one is "be lang" for bilingual
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yes, I know Bi is short for Bireli.
    But that Hamlet Lagrene joke seemed out of place as the title of a CD to me.
    But I guess when you're that good you can name your albums whatever...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    It's quite an album, but tonewise the V. Reserve sounded better to my ears than the Hahl.
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    Conrad : that little piece that Biréli is playing is nothing else than improvisation, as he always does...
    Besides, if you look at his face, it looks like he just woke up...
    He finishes his cigarette and plays whatever goes through his mind.

I have never really liked the sound of it, though...
    It seems like the strings were just put on, they sound too "new"...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    frater wrote:
    It's quite an album, but tonewise the V. Reserve sounded better to my ears than the Hahl.

I actually have both guitars here right now...2 Vieille reserves and a Hahl Super Deluxe (exactly the same as Bireli's).

Both are crazy good...personally I like the VR for myself. It's more traditional sounding which I like. But on Bireli's recordings I always thought he sounded better with the Hahl. Except for the Vienne DVD, the VR sounds really good. But on the CDs it was a bit harsher but I think that's because those CD were way over compressed!

I should mention that the Hahl is ridiculously easy to play....seriously, I've never played a Selmer type guitar that played so well and still sounded good.

'm
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    The Hahl is certainly a great guitar but in some takes on that album it sounds as thin as an unplugged Strat. Probably Bireli had a very, very low action:you can hear the noise of the strings slapping on the fretboard when he hits them hard...