DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG 255 vs DG 300 or 340

Could someone help me to decide between these guitars? I know that there will be cosmetic differences. Do they play differently? Neck? Action? Tone?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    They are very different....I'd actually recommend the Cigano GJ-10 over the the DG-255. The 255 is one of Sagas oldest designs and has some problems that were fixed in the later models like the DG-300s or the Ciganos. Generally, the 255 will sound very bass heavy and wet compared to the direr, brighter DG-300s or Ciganos. The DG-300s are the best models Saga makes. With a little work, they are very nice!

'm
  • williecowillieco New
    Thanks Michael! I had 250M a couple of years ago, and foolishly sold it. Now I want to do more jazz. ( I have an Eastman EL Rey for my main performance guitar these days) I generally like nice guitars, so I am very tempted by the 300. I have to see what I want to sell from my other gear.
  • williecowillieco New
    I ordered the Cigano GJ-10. After playing it for a few weeks, I just couldn't get attached to it. A bit too stiff and jangly. So I traded it back to the store where I teach, and ordered the DG 300. I am delighted! It is not only a beautiful guitar, but plays very well, and sounds great. I was jamming with a friend playing a Breedlove dreadnaught...wow, what a difference in tone and cutting power. I put Martin Silk and Steel 11's on it. It has a wide range of tonal possibilities, both with a pick and fingerstyle. I have listened to the cuts on Michael Dunn's web site, and I like the variety of music that can be played on a Selmer style guitar.
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    I bought a DG 300 a month ago and really its sond is really clear and powerful.
    I hope you will enjoy it a lot man:)

P.S...In a month the Store that sold me the guitar will make a setup and change of strings...
    What strings shall I put?..

Any suggestion?+++ Now I have D'Addario Gypsy Strings 11-45
  • elias t.elias t. ATHENSNew
    P.S...In a month the Store that sold me the guitar will make a setup and change of strings...
    What strings shall I put?..

Any suggestion?+++ Now I have D'Addario Gypsy Strings 11-45

I would definately stay with daddario , so far they 're my personal favourite , but if you are looking for the authentic tone , then you should try savarez argentines , im no expert but since you live in greece , i dont think you have a lot of string choices (i live in athens ), but if you go to the djangobooks store , im sure they will provide you with a lot of alternatives