DjangoBooks.com

what program was used to generate this chart?

djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
edited January 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 1,018
Does anyone know what program was used to generate this chart? I want to make some charts of my own in this style.

Latcho_drom.gif[/img]

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Looks like Finale or maybe Sibelius...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    you could do it really easily with any sort of word processor (except for the chord diagrams). Just make a blank table, use one of the Jazz fonts, and fill it in.

Split measures could be trouble...I know we've talked about how to do those before in some post.

best,
    Jack.
    Looks like Finale or maybe Sibelius...

If that's Sibelius, I need to learn more about my program! I've got G7, so it could be different (and I'm still learning about it). :wink:
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Actually, here's a pretty good one someone posted a while back:
    download.php?id=426

It also includes dim/half-dim symbols for easy copy & paste use.

Regarding the split bar problem, this was in the same thread:

The split box is actually pretty easy. Just click on a cell in the table, then the command is:
    Table - Split Cells

You can then specify how many columns and/or rows you want to split the cell into. 2 columns & 2 rows will give you the four-way split box. 2 of 1 and 1 of the other will give you a 2-way split, either horizontally or vertically depending on what you select.

hope that helps,
    Jack.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I use "Open Office" and so I can't do the split diagonal cells. I've been using Microsoft Word in the past but my charts dont all look "exactly" the same like the chart I posted above. Whoever generated the one above used a program (maybe Finale?) to do it I think because they generated over 30+ charts that have exactly the same styling with zero variation.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I believe you can get a chart that looks like the one above with Sibelius down to the chord grids
    I believe you can get a chart that looks like the one above with Sibelius down to the chord grids

Ok, I'm going to look into this and see if I can figure it out. No promises. :?
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    OK.....

Here's an example of the grilles I've been making for almost 5 years.

I only did the A section for comparison...I rarely if ever use the chord diagram function...but I added 2 types.

This was done just using MS word

What do you guys think ?

David
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    your chart looks nice but it doesn't look even near like the chart I posted at the start of this post.

it would be cool if someone who has Sibelus could tell me if that program is the source or not...
  • tsts GERMANY✭✭
    This chart (grilles) was made in Adobe Illustrator (the PDF your Latcho_drom.gif comes from reveals this). Neither Finale nor Sibelius can produce this as easiely as any layout or graphic software can. Using music-copy fonts like 'Inkpen' or 'Jazz' helps.
    www_swing-belleville_de.png