DjangoBooks.com

Hard to get CD's

GadjangoGadjango New
edited May 2005 in Welcome Posts: 26
I've been trying to track down some CD's by artists I've heard about through reading this forum and from checking out the MP3's on Michael's site and am having a hard time finding some stuff.

I'm dying to get my hands on any full-lengths of Paul "Tchan Tchou" Vidal's stuff, but haven't been able to find ANYTHING anywhere online, not even listings for out of print stuff. Also can't find a domestic source for Romane's Impair & Valse.

Also, Greg Ruby recently turned me on to Oscar Aleman's stuff but I can't seem to find a place that has his Grabaciones Recuperadas or Y Los 5 Caballeros CD's in stock. I believe these are both based on some of his late 50's, early 60's recordings and though they sound a lot different than his early Django-influenced stuff, the samples I've heard are really cool. The only recordings of his I can find in stock anywhere are the Buenos Aires-Paris and Swing Guitar Masterpieces CD's. iTunes actually has mp3's of both the albums I'm after, but I would rather have the actual cd's and also don't want to patronize Apple's service since I don't agree with some of the limitations they impose on their files. But that's another discussion...

Anyway, it seems like this is somewhat par for the course with this material, but does anyone have any specific recommendations for sources for these CD's? In general, where do some of you track down this harder to get stuff? And where can I get my hands on Tchan Tchou?!!

- Jason

Comments

• CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Believe it or not, I found the two later Aleman CDs you mention on regular old Amazon.com. I think you can also find them at Tangostore.com, but they're in Argentina and you'll likely pay some steep shipping fees. There are also some folks on eBay who occasionally bring Aleman vinyl and CDs in from Argentina.

I have never heard of any Tchan-Tchou albums being re-issued on CD. There are tracks here and there on compilations, but for full albums, you'll probably have to scour eBay or take a cudgel to some collector.

Wait a sec...wasn't there a post a few months ago that listed the web address of a site with about six or seven full Tchan-Tchou mp3's? Was that here or on the UK forum? Or have I been sniffing glue again?
  • GadjangoGadjango New
    I'm sorry to report that Tchan-Tchou's entire recorded output is relegated to three LP's and one extremely rare EP. None of it has been reissued on CD

I had a feeling this was the case. In a situation like this, it almost seems like sharing mp3's wouldn't be such a bad thing since you can't buy the stuff anyway.

I grew up listening to a lot of punk rock, which has come a long way in as far as distribution and availability goes. I remember having to call a million places to try and find certain albums or singles and a lot of times you just had to make friends with someone who had it and convince them to tape it for you. Which is kind of how I feel when trying to find a lot of this older G-Jazz stuff now.

I wonder what people would think about starting some sort of Gypsy Jazz bit-torrent tree for stuff that is flat out UNAVAILABLE like Tchan Tchou's output. It would be great if we could figure out how to get this music in the hands of people who really want it, but can't manage to track down obscure LP's.

Cuimean - I saw the listings for the Aleman albums on Amazon, but they don't actually have any in stock right now. I think one of their zshop sellers has one of them, but it is overpriced and I have had bad experiences with a lot of their sellers in the past.

- Jason
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Gadjango wrote:
    I can't seem to find a place that has his Grabaciones Recuperadas or Y Los 5 Caballeros CD's in stock. I believe these are both based on some of his late 50's, early 60's recordings and though they sound a lot different than his early Django-influenced stuff, the samples I've heard are really cool. The only recordings of his I can find in stock anywhere are the Buenos Aires-Paris and Swing Guitar Masterpieces CD's. iTunes actually has mp3's of both the albums I'm after, but I would rather have the actual cd's and also don't want to patronize Apple's service since I don't agree with some of the limitations they impose on their files. But that's another discussion...

You can find both these albums on emusic if you can live without having the actual cds. You can sign up for a free trial and get 50 mp3s free:

http://www.emusic.com/artist/11569/11569362.html

There are no limitations on their files, just straight mp3s.
  • GadjangoGadjango New
    It figures that I would come across this post the day after biting the bullet and downloading the albums from iTunes... :roll:

I will probably sign up with these guys to get some other stuff though. Thanks for the link!

- JG
  • andyandy New
    Both these albums contain "Murmullo de Parajos." Does this track also have an English name?

Cheers,
    Andy
  • andyandy New
    Got it -- it's "Under Paris Skies."

Talking to himself in public,
    Andy
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Isn't that actually "Lullabye of Birdland"?

I love the Spanish translations:
    "Rosa Madreselva" = "Honeysuckle Rose"
    "La Banda de Alejandro" = "Alexander's Ragtime Band"
    "Muchacho Chino" = "China Boy"
    "De Buen Humor" = "In the Mood"
    etc.

They're almost as good as the titles the French used during the occupation...in particular, "Agatha Rhythm." That one cracks me up.

- Rod
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Wouldn't ya know, there is a copy of Guitare Partie for sale on ebay at the moment (item #4731692134):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92134&rd=1
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Thats worth the 20$ for just the cover!

Somebody needs to buy it and digitize it before it disappears forever.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    V-dub wrote:
    Somebody needs to buy it and digitize it before it disappears forever.

I suppose that one or two guys in this forum already have this LP, so you don´t have to fear that it will disappear forever. By the way: Why don´t you buy it yourself? It´s worth having it (not only the cover, but the record, too).

Best

Barengero