DjangoBooks.com

Just One of Those Things

bertonebertone Morristown, NJNew
edited June 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 46
Hi, just wondering about the bridge of this tune: is there an alternate, gypsy jazz version with the bridge starting in Ab?

The only version I've heard is on the Ritary Live 2004 cd where they play it that way, which is also how it's written out in the Cosimini chord book. Meanwhile the Gadjo Drom grilles site has the bridge starting in Eb which seems to be the usual jazz version, for example the Lee Morgan recording with Pepper Adams .. anyone know what the story is? TIA

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the original composition by cole porter has the bridge in Eb

for some reason (perhaps someone can help out here), django did it in Ab, and since most gypsies learn the tune from django they do it in Ab as well
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    You know, I'd completely forgotten about that; over the years my brain has come to know the Ab bridge as the usual. I think I actually like it better that way, too, but I'm not sure I can trust my own ears anymore. If anyone can shed some light on how the Ab came into being, I'd be interested too. Maybe someone has a non-gypsy version?

Best,
    Jack.