DjangoBooks.com

Unsure of best method with GP for this type of seq of notes

beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
edited February 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 60
I have GP book, and understand the string change always a downstroke rule, but have not seen this addressed:

Ok, assume please that these are 8th notes, (even tho i had to add some spaces, assume -no rests- between the notes).

Starting the 6 note phrase on a downbeat

Which of these ways would you play this? (if either?)

Opt 1
..........DUDDUD
G --------- 567-------------------------------------------
D -----578 ----------------------------------------------

Opt 2
.........DUD U DU
G --------- ---67-------------------------------------------
D -----578 10 ----------------------------------------------

In my old AltP method, I would hit the first note on the G string with an upstroke, keeping the downstroke on 1 and 3, and upstroke on 2 and 4 thing going... i find that is throwing me off with GP more than simply the idea of changing strings with a downstroke, it is that it is that at times, that downstroke falls on an upbeat.

So, I have been experimenting with Opt 2, to keep the strokes on the beat I am used to, but the move up to that higher fret at quick speeds seems a bit much.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Depends what phrasing you want...but both would work. It's always faster to change ascending strings with a downstroke so #1 would be the fastest.
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    thanks for the response... but not sure i understand fully...:
    ...It's always faster to change ascending strings with a downstroke so #1 would be the fastest.

...as both methods change strings on a downstroke.

Opt 2 keeps the strokes even DUDUDU, where 1 has the DD 'hitch' in it.

I guess that is what is bothering me, the change to using a downstroke on an upbeat thing, then i feel like i have to 'reset' or something.

I guess maybe something i will just get used to with time...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    beavertoof wrote:

where 1 has the DD 'hitch' in it.

That's what I mean by changing strings with a downstroke or sweptstroke. Very, very efficient....it's sweep picking! If the string change is preceded with an upstroke then it's not as fast...

For max speed in Gypsy jazz remember, odd going up and even going down. If you finger phrases like that then you'll get max speed...but there are other considerations inclduing phrasing, tone, etc so you don't always want to do that. But it's good to know for the ultra fast lines.
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    That's what I mean by changing strings with a downstroke or sweptstroke. Very, very efficient....it's sweep picking!...

Ah! I get what you are saying now, and will look at this differntly. Thanks!