DjangoBooks.com

Mandolin teacher in the Philadelphia area

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited March 2009 in Mandolin Posts: 1,002
I have a friend in the Philly area who is looking for a mandolin teacher, jazz, bluegrass, rock...he doesn't care. He just wants a teacher to get him started. Does anyone know of a good teacher in this area?
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Michael, if your friend is near Lansdowne, I've heard good things about Joe Todaro as a beginning mandolin teacher. Joe owns Todaro Music on the main drag in Lansdowne, and is also a real nice guy.

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks, John. I'll pass his name along.
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Hi Michael,
    just saw this. Contact Mike Fox at ; <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
    He plays with me regularly and is a great mandolin player. He's in Delaware CTY.
    How's the Modele Orchestre doing?
    Ernie
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Michael,
    also if your friend wants to see Mike play have him go to
    www.youtube.com/user/mikepugs
    there's four or so quintet vids with Mike on mandolin.
    Ernie
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks, Ernie. I still have the orchestre and play it alot. I am stunned at how loud it is! You just don't expect that from a short scale guitar. The tone is really sweet and has gotten better since you sold it to me. I have just acquired a Modele Concert, which is the nylon string d-hole. It doesn't have the volume of a steel string, of course (which makes it nice for hotel rooms), but is alot of fun to play.

I'll pass on the mando teacher's name. Thanks for the tip. Hope all is well with you. What are you playing these days?
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    I'm playing with Hot Club Du Jour and use a Dell Arte import Hommage which is strikingly loud (this guitar is every bit as impressive as your orchestre)and cuts well when you dig in. Also depending on the gig/instrumentation/music, I play my Draleon with a Stimer, great vintage archtop sound.
    When I'm with the straight ahead quartet I use an Elite Brydland.

I'm hoping to make it to DIJ to se Pigalle 44. Really love their groove.
    Cool, Ernie. We'll see you at Django in June if not before. I'll want to give the Homage a try if you bring it.
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Most probaly if I make it, I'll have the Hommage import. I'd feel out of place with the Draleon and an amp.