DjangoBooks.com

So, what did everybady use before Wedgen's??

Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
I still haven't gotten around to getting a wedgen yet, but I've been alternating between a 5mm Primetone, 5mm Primetone Jazz,Dunlop 208, and 3mm Jazz Stubby.
Wedgen's seem to be pinched between alot of players thumbs and index fingers, so I kinda wondering......just what did people pick with before Wedgens???
Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco

Comments

• SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    Before Wegens, i used a some pick by 1,10 mm, however, Wegen picks is more good, sounds loud and it's very easy to play with it. Trust me!
    140annl.png
    Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
    Vive Django!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Jorgenson was one of the first to play this style in the states and he played Stubbies and Dunlop 208s in his beginnings from what I hear. I don't know what he plays now.

I've seen a good number of top players use the standard shaped Dunlop Tortex picks in thicknesses from 1mm to 1.5mm and turn them around and play one of the back edges. So if your question is: "What to the good players do in a pinch." From what I've seen - that's what they do... they find a Tortex, rub it on their jeans, turn it around and play the back edge. I keep one in my wallet because you never know when you're going to show up somewhere to play and wind up digging through your pockets uttering those infamous words: "Where's my F*n Wegen?"
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    A button, according to some.....
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    what year was it when the very first Wegen pick was made (of the modern gypsy jazz style of course) ?
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    I know that back in 00' and 01' he was still making them by hand, he was amassing a pick and swing CD collection and if you sent him a pick he didn't have or a CD of your band he'd send you a pick ! Sweet Guy
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I read in an interview Tchavolo Schmitt used to go through the Marche aux Puces (flea market in Paris) looking for big buttons made out of bone, he would then rub them on the sidewalk to get the desired shape. He said they were great picks.

Tortoise shell are the most sought after picks.
    Other materials are bull horn, coconut shell, acrylic, stone.

I personally like Wegen a lot, I started with the fat ones but nowadays i use the thinner bigcity and the dunlops, less meat but more articulation.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Same picks I used before Wegen..

Claytons and Tortex
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Enrique- i am with you the more I play it seems the thinner my pickes have gotten to now I either use a wegen 2.5 or what I use on almost all my other guitars the purple dunlop tortex picks I just turn to the side. they actually in my oppinion have a really good sound.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    I went through a bunch of different picks.

I've used the 2mm purple Dunlops for ages on all my guitars.

For me, GJ playing is really hard on picks. I use either my trusty Dunlops or the Wegen GJ 2.5mm and 3.5mm picks. The thickness difference doesn't really matter to me nor does it require a huge adjustment for me.

I guess the main thing is the tone they produce. With my Dell"Arte, the thinner picks produce a more trebly stringy sound on the wound strings.

The 3.5 Wegen produces a fatter and rounder sound on the wound strings. The overall sound also seems much drier with this thicker pick.

In the end its just a matter of me wanting either more twang or a fatter-more evened out kind of sound. So I just switch depending on what Im playing.
    HCQ
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I got rid of my credit cards so I'll have to wait till I go to Calgary to get a wegen, but I seem to really prefer the tone with the 3mm stubby. The 5mm Primetone is actually more Trebley , and bright.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco