DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy jazz with flattop and intro for the Nuages

MikkoMikko FinlandNew
edited May 2009 in Welcome Posts: 14
Hi!

Here's some new samples I have made to the Youtube.

This one is played with regular flattop acoustic guitar.

And this one is played with Manouche orchestre 14-fret D-hole

Feel free to comment.

Other samples can be found from Youtube by searching juhan81.

Regards Mikko

Comments

• Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    Hey, Mikko

great playing ! I already commented on YouTube, but since replys are sometimes a bit sparse on this forum, I wanted to drop you a few lines here as well. (no offends, people !)
    It´s especially astounding that you get such a nice tone out of a flattop guitar. Is that a Wegen Fatone in the picture ? I found that they help to get the flattops a bit crisper.

Anyway, I really like your stuff, thanks for posting it.

best regards,
    Matthias
  • MikkoMikko FinlandNew
    Hello Matthias!

First of all, nice playing and videos in the youtube Matthias!

I use really cheap equipments in my sample recordings. And now the best sound is achieved without videos. But I try to make some actual video samples in the future.

I used the Seagull flattop in the first sample. It has 12-set bronze strings and they are about 2 years old (shame on me;)). It's pretty stiff to play, so I had to concentrate a lot on the phrasing to get gypsy jazz tone. And the pick was Wegen gypsyjazzpick 3.5mm. It makes a lot to the sound too.
    hey, thanks for your (very quick) reply.

2 year old strings :shock: wow !
    propably the best proof that it´s the player and not the equipment that counts. I´ve also realized that old strings (which are good for nothing) can still work, but only and exclusively when using the gypsy picking technique.

Best regards from nightowl to nightowl :D
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I´ve also realized that old strings (which are good for nothing) can still work, but only and exclusively when using the gypsy picking technique.

actually it doesn't sound like he's using gypsy picking technique, the tone sounds like a hybrid alternate picking kinda thing with possibly occasional rest strokes... correct me if i'm wrong!

At any rate, it doesn't matter, it sounds great! It's the music that counts first... good tone, good feel, all is well!
  • MikkoMikko FinlandNew
    That's true Dennis. I have long path to go with the gypsy jazz picking technique. I just can't play that fast yet with pure GJ technique. Downstroke always when changing string is something I have to practice still for a long long time (maybe a lifetime;)).

Thanks for your comment!
    Sounds great!
    Who is Musorgski by the way?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    Hello Mikko, i'm glad to see you on Djangobooks and congrats again for your videos and gypsy jazz songs. Your solos are awesome !

Stefan, from youtube.
    140annl.png
    Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
    Vive Django!
    Buco wrote:
    Who is Musorgski by the way?

Modest Mussorgsky was a 19th century Russian composer. He wrote "Pictures at an Exhibition", for example.

You might look here to find out more :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modest_Mussorgsky