DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest LA - thoughts and recap

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
edited April 2009 in North America Posts: 629
We went to Djangofest LA last Saturday, and perhaps I was a little underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong - the concert was great - Jessica Fichot, Andreas, Gonzalo and our own Doug Martin. The workshops were OK, but sparsely attended. There wasn't really a lot of jamming throughout the day, which I was expecting more of - just a few guys for a little bit out on the sidewalk. Somehow I was under the impression that there were vendors with stuff to try. The after-concert jam was just too late in the evening with a two-hour drive home.

All in all, there was a ton of downtime with a few high spots. Is this typical of all Djangofests, or was this particularly low-key?
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that it isn't really one of the bigger, established fests...if you come East for Django in June, there are easily 5 to 10 jams going on at any given hour for six days straight, many of them with the headliners. It helps that almost everyone is staying in the same building, too: people drift in and out, but there's always someone ready to play.

You might try Djangofest Northwest. The last few years have seen an explosion of other Djangofests, and I'm getting the feeling that it's spreading the audience a little thin; what used to be a single event--a kind of pilgrimage--instead had at least four events last year. I'd be surprised if you had the same thing happen at DFNW.

best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    DFLA is by far the smallest fest, and in recent years has gotten even smaller. DFNW is the biggest and really has that total immersion festival feel...non-stop jamming, concerts, vending....no sleep! A whole other order of magnitude then DFLA.

Django in June is a bit smaller then DFNW but has a more camp like vibe and everyone bonds because you're together 24/7 for the better part of week. Like Jack said, there's also non-stop jamming.

'm
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    This was my first year to go to DFLA and really it's a concert rather than an actual "festival" so the name is a little deceiving in that sense. I also figured there would be a bit more going on but didn't seem to find much action outside the actual shows, which were great of course.

By comparison DFSF is much bigger and more "festival like" as there is pretty always jamming going on and stuff to do during the day, jamming, workshops, etc., plus a few tables with merchandise to buy, guitars to try, etc. For sure another level from the LA fest.

As the others said, of the three Djangofests, DFNW is by FAR the ultimate. Nonstop jams pretty much all day everyday, a few vendors with stuff to try out (including Michael's table with all the accessories, CDs, books, strings and related items you'll want). Workshops most days in the late morning and afternoon as well. The shows take place in the afternoon AND evening followed by the no sleep all night jams. In short, it's THE fest to go to on the West coast. Don't even think twice about it, just go! You'll be glad you did!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    gitpicker wrote:
    I also figured there would be a bit more going on but didn't seem to find much action outside the actual shows, which were great of course.

Yeah, that rhythm guy wasn't too bad. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I really was looking for that "total immersion" feel. Djill's head was spinning after Gonzalo's workshop, but I was hungry for a lot more. It might be too close in time to go to DFSF, but DFNW Seattle in September might be do-able. No sleep all night jams? I must be getting old. 10 is a late night for me, lol
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com