DjangoBooks.com

Difference in body size on the 14fret D and Ovals?

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
I own one of each and somehow they feel different, I wonder is there any difference in the body's size or shape? Or is it all in my mind?

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Enrique... It's in your mind... you're slowly going insane from playing that Gm6.... it happens....

Seriously... it depends. Everyone seems to have a minor departure from the original proportions though the size is often (and should be) the same.... 400mm x 470mm if they're made accurately.

If you want to get really detailed, I think the mac is like ... 1mm deeper at the neck pocket... and the back of the Selmer has a slightly greater arch so effectively could feel deeper. It might also be neck - maybe you hold a 12 fret differently than you hold a 14 due to the neck width/length differences and however you're correcting your posture to get the right grip on the neck... so maybe you have the full bout under your arm on one style and maybe the guitar is forward or backward for the other so you're not feeling the full body under your arm... tough to say. Skinny guy like you I'd have a hard time believing you're noticing the extra back arch.

Bottom line, they should be the same.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks Bob. I ask because when playing the 14 fretter D-hole the inside of my elbow rubs the binding and ends up sore after the day but that doesn't happen when I play the oval... weird.
    Is there such a thing as a sharp binding?
    I don't feel the back of the guitar but if I keep drinking down those beers i will soon.
    BTW did you make up your mind about going to Samois? Would love to see you there and hang out
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Oh... yeah. Sharp binding is a pain. It looks good but it hurts playability so I always soften it a bit where the arm comes down even if I leave the rest fairly crisp for visual appeal (it really does look better a bit sharp) That could be it.

Haven't made up my mind on Samois yet - likely not. The goal was to go next year - lots to do this year and I just invested a decent amount in a one-time opportunity to acquire a stock of aged tonewood from the family of a wonderful luthier who is unfortunately no longer with us. Put all that together and I think it's a long shot.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    So sharp binding can indeed be an issue... good to know I thought I was losing my mind.

So, How can I correct this on my guitar? which of course is already finished.
    I'm pretty sure this is at least part of the problem as I only have this pain when playing this guitar, and just rubbing my fingers back and forth across the binding can make them tender.
    PS Congrats on the tonewood!
    So a 14 fretter D hole, like a Dupont MDC...

Is it a Mac with 14 frets to the body and longer scale?

or

Is it a Selmer with a Mac soundhole?

My MDC somehow feels different than the ovals I've played
    The binding's not sharp really... I compared it to some classical guitars and mine was much smoother in comparison.