DjangoBooks.com

GITAN D500 SN 008 Mfg. and string gauge recommendation?

B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
I am expecting the arrival of a very good condition old D500 SN 008 from FL and would like to know what your advice on string gauge and Mfg. recommendation would be. The guitar has the "Satin" finish and orange/brown tint and I think they are a little less "wet sounding" than the later years and maybe a different set is called for. I always liked the sound of John's old D500 from DFNW over the last 5 years.
Rocky

Comments

• PowerfibersPowerfibers Buffalo, New YorkNew
    I use the 11 gauge Fisomas on my D500, but Argies would be fine too. I think that you should use heavier gauges if you can handle them on that shorter scale. 10s are way too floppy IMHO on the short scale D500.
    Bob Maulucci
    http://www.djambossa.com
    New CD out now, "Moonflower"
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    I've got some Argie 11s I'll try first and then some D'Addario GJ 11s I have for a comparison. I forgot about the less tension on the shorter scale so the "floppiness" feel of 10s makes sense.
    Thanks,
    Rocky
  • TubbyTubby New
    I think Django used 10's didn't he?
  • PowerfibersPowerfibers Buffalo, New YorkNew
    This is a short scale, Tubby, but Django is better know for playing the longer scaled Selmer oval hole. The D-500 is the Maccaferri D-hole, short scale model.
    The 10s work but they are not as nice in my opinion. The reason I like the Fisoma set is that they are really weird gauges. They have a strange balance that I like on the D-500.
    For what it is worth, I think the D-500 is the best Gitane. Not a true gypsy sound, but a great guitar. I have played the 255, 320, 300, and the Wrembel model, and the D500 is my fave.
    Bob Maulucci
    http://www.djambossa.com
    New CD out now, "Moonflower"
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I know most guys use 11's, but I really like 10's on short scale guitars. People seemed to comment on how loud my two d-holes were, but the only thing I did different was put 10's on them. I may be wrong, but it seems that they let the top work a little better.

Tubby, as I understand it, Argie didn't make 11's during Django's lifetime. I suppose that's another reason I went with 10's...to get as close to the Django sound as I could.

You can at least try 10's and 11's and see which your ear and your guitar prefer. Some guitars are just happier with one or the other.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Ah, the joys of buying an unseen guitar off EBAY!
    I've played this late 70's D-500 for about 5 hours now and it has a Great Honky, Woody Tone and plays easy, even as is, needing some work. The 1 7/8" nut width and fretboard to back of neck depth is full and comfortable, without being squared off or too massive. It came with 12 gage "black" bronze ball end strings and the high E black paint is chipping off exposing the steel core! Very Peculiar.
    No fret wear possibly because it hasn't been played much as the open position chord intonation was terrible as the old massive/heavy bridge was jammed between the glued moustache ends and may have been that way from the factory, or it swelled up being in humid Florida. The head stock had built up "crud" from hanging on a hook on the wall. I pulled out the bridge and trimmed off a little material from both ends to adjust the intonation, but the high E is still off too much. I had to loosen the truss rod to get some fretboard relief but there is still some fret buzz in a few spots. The action is too low, maybe 1.8 or 2 mm The tuners are cheap, geared "fast" and don't stay in tune too long. There are no sleeved grommets where the shafts go into the center portion of headstock. So I will have Josh Hegg build a new bridge, fret work and maybe new tuners.
    The tailpiece has oxidized to a nice gray color so I will leave it that way, though the standard black plastic insert will be replaced with wood.
    This old guitar has no structural problems and has great wood selection in it.
    Even though it needs some additional money repairs, I'm glad I bought it as it is a Keeper.
    Rocky