DjangoBooks.com

Side by side tonal comparisons

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
OK - a friend on this site has planted the bug....already thinking (definitely down the road - miles of years to go before a guitar and not my playing would make the difference) of a higher end guitar for the future.

Mostly from this site, I have tried to glean some differences between various luthiers' guitars, and perhaps this is just lazy - but does anyone happen to have any knowledge of a kind of side by side comparison on various makes, in terms of tonal characteristics the guitars/luthiers are typically "known" for? I realize this may be impossible - like the difference between a fat new world pinot noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon, and an austere pinot from Nuits St. Georges, "sweetness" in a guitar may be a function of time in play, as much as other things - but just wondering if there are some broad characteristics that are known, to start laying down some early thoughts?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• WColsherWColsher PhiladelphiaNew
    Well, the first place to look would be the videos our noble host has posted here and on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DjangoBooks#play/uploads

While they are mostly modern instruments, Selmer #853 is on there as well as a couple middle-aged Favinos. His written descriptions of the instruments and their sound will be helpful as well.

Then keep your eyes open for DJ shows in your area - fairly often they'll be accompanied by workshops (I'm still kicking myself for not doing the ones Stephane Wrembel put on when he was here last spring.) people will bring all sorts of instruments. The Midwest Gypsy Swingfest in Madison looks like it will be a great opportunity, I see there's a Chicago Gypsy Jazz fest in October, and of course Swing Gitan plays regular gigs around Chicago and I believe Alfonso Ponticelli teaches at OTSoFM, so you've got some great resources close to home. Just go to gigs, instroduce yourself and and ask about the instruments - you'll be amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone is.

Arrgghhhh... now I wish I was still in Chicago too!

Finally - come to Django in June next year - only 10 months (and a little bit) away! You'll be able to see, hear, and play examples of nearly everything that's out there.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is a fantastic channel, Wcolsher - thanks for the referral. (And Michael - thanks for doing them - spot on as to what I was looking for).

I will be going to the Midwest Fest - can't wait, also signed up for the workshop (likely studying with Gonzalo Bergara, as I don't know when I'd have the chance to study with him again anytime soon). I'm also eagerly looking forward to studying with Alfonso - signed up for his Old Town class last week, have heard him a number of times now, here in town. The first time I saw him at The Green Mill, he was playing a flamenco guitar and doing stuff I'd never yet seen on a guitar. Almost ridiculous that I didn't think of all this as an opportunity to compare guitar characteristics.... :oops:

I do hope to get out to either Django in June, or Django NW next year. I had really hoped to caravan out to Crested Butte this year, but will have to be content to stay home...still, not lacking, what with the MW and Chicago fests out my literal back door. Whenever I get burned out on city life, I take stock of how lucky I am to be living in such a vibrant music and culinary scene.

Cheers - thanks again.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    All of these are great suggestions. There is no substitute for getting your hands-on experience with an instrument. Back in the day, I remember really wanting a Les Paul, Strat, or an SG Custom to play. Fortunately I had friends who had those guitars, and I was able to play and compare them. For my hands and style at the time, I found the Strat better for me - though I did 'hot-rod' it later with better pickups. So, the same thing probably still applies - get your hands-on the instruments.

Paul - yes, I'm wishing I was there in Chi-Town too! Good luck with those lessons and at those festival workshops! I'm saving for one of those trips myself, and looking forward to getting to one next year.