DjangoBooks.com

What to buy?

crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
Hi all I'm in the market for an oval hole selmer type. My options are
a) Gitane DG255
b) Dell Arte Pigalle
c) Second hand Dupont Nomade.

If you were me, what would you go for ?

Alan
always learning

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    The nomad is out, bolt on neck from what I remember and a bit thin, the Gitanne is a great guitar but I would go for the Dell Arte ..Manouche are well worth lookinG at too though, I have one and its the most fuN to play guitar ever, even if the color is a bit 'David Dickinson'
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    The Nomad I played a couple years ago sounded and played great. The bolt on neck would take some getting used to, but I would not rule it out on that basis alone.

Craig
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I own a Nomade and it's a great guitar, I'd go for it if you can find a used one for cheap. The bolt on neck is not an issue on sound. It has better Selmer tone than your other options.
    Mine is an older model with Walnut back/ sides and sitka top and it sounds great.
    Otherwise I'd get a Cigano oval or a DG 300, both better than the Dg255 in my mind.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I think the Nomade's looking like the one. One of the guys in the Glasgow Hot Club has one and it's the best - and most authentic sounding - guitar in the club.

The bolt on neck doesn't seem to affect the tone and in fact has the advantage of allowing more variation in neck angle and action. Interestingly
    Ed Roman of Roman guitars in Las Vegas reckons that bolt ons allow for more transfer of vibrations given that it's wood to wood.

I do like the look of the Pigalle ( how shallow I am.....) but then the Nomade has a stripped own aesthetic appeal of its own.

Anyway, thanks for the input - all ideas and opinions welcome

Alan
    always learning
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi all, took the plunge and bought a Dell Arte Pigalle....can only hope it's not a Dell Arte Piginapoke......

Thanks to all who replied, if I get my finger out I'll record some clips and post 'em for future reference.

Cheers
    Alan
    always learning
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I like the Cigano GJ15 and Gitane DG300 better than the Pigalles I have played.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Alan--

Kruno was gigging with a Pigalle for about the last year, and it sounded great in his hands. I played it and thought it was every bit as good as any higher end Gitane I have played. I think you'll be very happy. Just remember, it will be a few months before it plays in, so don't be disappointed if it sounds a little raw out of the box.

My advice is always this: when it quits sounding good to you, it's time to buy a better guitar. But don't buy a better one until you can hear the difference.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Michael
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Took the plunge and bought the Pigalle, it arrived yesterdayand first impressions are good. Changed the crappy strings for Argies and willshim up the bridge.

Soundwise it's sharp but not too sharp and should open up with a bit of playing. It's definitely more Selmer like than I expected and the neck is slimmer than the DA Robin Nolan oval hole.

Nice guitar for the money, I will try to post some vids of it asasp

Alan
    always learning