DjangoBooks.com

CD recommendations?

SamuelSamuel New
edited September 2009 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 46
What CDs would people recommend for someone looking to get into more artists than just Django? There are so many from so many artists I haven't heard of on djangobooks, that I don't know where to begin.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Samuel wrote:
    What CDs would people recommend for someone looking to get into more artists than just Django? There are so many from so many artists I haven't heard of on djangobooks, that I don't know where to begin.

Pretty new myself, so please take it with a grain of salt - but because there are so many, I'd think perhaps experienced people might be able to guide you a bit better, if you could talk about "houses" of playing you might be interested in, or where you'd like to start?

In other words, because there are so many players, and groups, if you start by going from what broad tastes you do have now, people might be able to guide you to starting places, and from there, one thing leads to another...(I'm only going from my chef days, and guiding people to wines they might like)... e.g., do you think you might be interested in people known for their sheer speed and/or wizardry, or would you like more lyrical, melodic players? Groups known for more of a traditional sound (say, "pre-war" allegiance in their playing style), or more modernist in their approach? Latin and other sounds in their work? And so forth.

Again, please take what I say with a grain of salt, because I am so new to the style myself. But I had hoped if you could wrap a framework around your growing appreciation, it might help you find a way "in."

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Second on the Bireli Lagrene - this is such an outstanding DVD, a fantastic concert, and the camera work is equal to the task - a lot there to pick up.
    -Paul

• wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    I think two must haves are Jo Privat's Manouche Party and Baro Ferret's Swing Valses d'hui et d'aujoudhui.

The fact no one can remember the violinist's name on Manouche Party is, to my mind, so perfectly manouche.

cheers
    I think two must haves are Jo Privat's Manouche Party and Baro Ferret's Swing Valses d'hui et d'aujoudhui.

The fact no one can remember the violinist's name on Manouche Party is, to my mind, so perfectly manouche.

cheers

Wayne,

Amazon says the Privat album is no longer available - any bead on where to get this, in the U.S.?

Loved what I heard of the Ferret album, added to my cart for the next round of music collecting. Don't know if it's me (I have so much to listen to, so new), but the trippy xylophone and organ seem almost bizarre, to me, though captivatingly so - isn't this out there, for the genre? Was Ferret pushing the envelope, or was this kind of instrumentation common in bal-musettes?
    -Paul

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You can get Swing Valse right here at DjangoBooks

Why support the big corporation on the South side of Seattle when you can help the little guy out? :D

• wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Wayne,

Amazon says the Privat album is no longer available - any bead on where to get this, in the U.S.?

i think if MH doesn't have it, it may indeed be out of print. You need an original CD because the booklet is priceless.

The reason this is an important CD to me is that I often require less speed and more melody. If you want to impress people at a jam, play Matelo's short solo from Minor Swing. That's melodic!

The story of the violinist is that he was an acquaitance of Matelot's (I believe) and showed up at the recording. After playing perfectly for the recording he left and when it came time to release the recording no one could remember his name!

Loved what I heard of the Ferret album, added to my cart for the next round of music collecting. Don't know if it's me (I have so much to listen to, so new), but the trippy xylophone and organ seem almost bizarre, to me, though captivatingly so - isn't this out there, for the genre? Was Ferret pushing the envelope, or was this kind of instrumentation common in bal-musettes?[/quote] :shock: :shock:

I think Baro is definitely"out there". I believe the xylophone was not normally used in bals musette. I think the moderness of his swing valses were pretty radical at the time. Still are to me. Then again I think Aerosmith is a new band.

cheers
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Wayne,

It's been unavailable for sometime....I can't say for sure if it will be available again.

'm
    Wayne,

It's been unavailable for sometime....I can't say for sure if it will be available again.

'm

I saw on some site (forget where - Hotclub UK, maybe?) a recommendation that if you like the album, "might be worth a trip to Paris to get it.."

Wonder if it's available in France, just no longer, here?
    The story of the violinist is that he was an acquaitance of Matelot's (I believe) and showed up at the recording. After playing perfectly for the recording he left and when it came time to release the recording no one could remember his name!

Hahahahah.....That is priceless. Man, I wish I could obtain this....Samois is something we're thinking about, for next year...if it's available in France...

(Michael - pm'ed you on the "Bastard Behemoths" south of you, thing).
    -Paul