DjangoBooks.com

Oval or D-hole for rhythm?

fretbuzzfretbuzz Olalla WANew
edited January 2014 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 10
I'm looking to buy a guitar for rhythm playing; does anybody have any opinion on which type will get the better sound? I could almost go either way (I'm leaning toward the D-hole, if only slightly). Thanks.
Rhythm sections rule.
Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Either will work....you can't really make gross generalizations because it depends on the merits on any given guitar rather then the soundhole. Pro rhythm players will use oval or D holes to good effect.

The only advice I generally give is that the 12 fret short scale guitars don't have the punch for leads (yes, I know about the video of Joscho Stephan playing a 12 fret cigano :D).
  • fretbuzzfretbuzz Olalla WANew
    Thanks, Michael. After watching Nousche Rosenberg on YouTube, I'm committing to a D-hole. Until then I'll just have to keep pounding the archtop. :?
    Joscho Stephan, yeah. I wasn't even going to suggest him because he's an alien. :shock:
    I'm hoping to catch the Djangomatics sometime soon; been meaning to get my backside up to Seattle :lol:

-Steve
    Rhythm sections rule.
  • galvanometrgalvanometr Czech Republic✭✭ Lebreton Modele 4
    Have you any idea why Nous'che went from 12 fret D-Holes to 14 fret Oval holes?
  • galvanometrgalvanometr Czech Republic✭✭ Lebreton Modele 4
    I know, both have their own things, but you can't go wrong if choosing to play rhythm on D-Hole. Their early albums featured D-Hole rhythm guitar and it was superb. He doesn't sound bad now on Oval hole at all, don't get me wrong. Was just wondering what may be the cause of that. Maybe he did start to just like it more, could be simple as that.

Last time I saw him playing a D-Hole was on this video, sure it's not stage playing but still:
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    We normally use oval holes for both lead and rhythm, but this weekend, Jill will be using her oval hole for rhythm and I will be using my D for leads. My oval hole is on the injured list for a few days. The D is pretty loud, and they are just duo gigs
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com