DjangoBooks.com

Travelling to America, recommendations for purchase

symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
Hi

I'm heading back to San Fransisco and Portland next Feb/March for 10 days to visit family and holiday (I live in New Zealand) and I'm intending on purchasing my first Sel-Mac style guitar.

The Latcho Drom have caught my interest, but I was wondering what else people could recommend in the $1000-$2000US range (with good amplification as extra) oval hole. I'm not looking for a pure entry level as I'm not going to get a chance to purchase a Sel-Mac for another few years overseas. We can get Gitane's here, but they price about $1000US. The other brand is Vintage which I can't find any information on.

Any recommendations on purchase would be highly welcome. I hope to see some gigs with my wife while over as well.

Kind regards
Jason Just

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Contact Barry Warhaftig of the Hot Club of Philadelphia. He is the U.S. distributor for Manouche guitars and may know of some out West that you could try. I think they are the perfect guitar in that price range and will do until you are ready for a hand-made instument.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will give you Barry's contact information.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Jason,

Even Gitanes are difficult to find in stores...but just about any other Gypsy type guitar will be almost impossible to find. Your best bet is if you can make it up here to Seattle were we have the biggest selection in N.America. See:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... itars.html

-Michael
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    Hi Michaels (excuse the double up there)

Thanks for the advice and information. I see Seattle isn't too far away from Portland and I am hoping to be in the latter for 4 days.

Have PM'd you Michael B.

If there is any manouche out SF way or Portland that would be great, otherwise I'll make the drive north or fly, whichever is the quickest.

Kind regards
    Jason Just