DjangoBooks.com

anyone know this guitar manuel Rodriguez

C Indiana Macafferi Cutaway Manuel Rodriguez oval hole

anyone know this guitar i cant find reviews on internet of this guitar so mayby someone who read this and have expierence with this guitar
someone have offer this guitar to me but before i wanne go tho there(long way) and try to play on that one i wanne read something about it
what i can expect :D
i am from holland

thanks till sofar

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I think you mean a C "India" ... so in other words, a small body (36.5cm lower bout) with a back of East Indian Rosewood.

It seems to me that there was a good European flamenco maker by that name - but also - Fender Guitar used to import flamencos of that same name into the USA & I don't think they were very highly regarded. You probably should ask if the maker is still working and if he has a website or something - and find out where it was made. If it was made by a guy named Manuel Rodriguez or if it is an offshore guitar manufactured under contract etc..

Haha... in other words... my gut feeling is that if I were your big brother I'd tell you to get more information before sending money ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    edited September 2009 Posts: 159
    Manuel Rodriguez is the label Fender distributes or distributed.Miguel Rodriguez is a very famous classical/flamenco luthier, known for his 'churchdoor' series of instruments. I would guess a Manuel Rodriguez Selmac would be much like an Aria, or maybe a Gitane.

My 2 cents

-Chuck
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    This is the website:
    http://www.guitars-m-r-sons.com/ing/home.htm

This is indeed the maker of flamenco guitars. Now they also have a line of Selmer models, calling them the "maccaferri" line.

I have a model B. If you want some info, PM me. You can write me in Dutch.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
    Duozona wrote:
    Manuel Rodriguez is the label Fender distributes or distributed, one of a ton of spanish 'named' guitars

Miguel Rodriguez is a very famous classical/flamenco luthier, known for his 'churchdoor' series of instruments, whose name often accidentally lends credibility to the Manuel Rodriguez label.

I would guess a Manuel Rodriguez Selmac would be much like an Aria, or maybe a Gitane

My 2 cents

-Chuck

Manuel Rodriquez is the builder of the guitars Paco de Lucia uses.
    These instrumenst cost around 20.000 Euro, if i am not mistaken and are handbuilt.
    They also sell factory built guitars however. Of course these are a lot cheaper.
    This is the Rodriguez I mention, Miguel:

http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=3380

these regularly sell for $15,000-$25,000

He would be one of many classical builders held in the same esteem as Selmer, Busato, etc..
    I've checked the site of Manuel Rodriguez. The reference to Paco de Lucia is gone, so it is my guess he is currently using another brand.

As for the "Manuel Rodriguez" (MR) name:
    MR is not a name that was made up to create a Spanish image.
    It refers to 3 persons, grandfather, father and son.
    The father had a workshop in the USA for some 15 years, then returned to Spain, to take over the family guitar building business, a factory (company) of the same name (MR) near Madrid. The factory/workshop produces a wide range of guitars, from basic to (very) expensive.

The assumption in one of the post by Bob Holo that Fender imported the brand for some time is correct. Judging from the remarks made in that post Fender only importered the more basic models.
    Thats too bad that Fender did seem to only import the lower line or models, but not uncommon, I seem to recall Guitar Center was carrying a line of Ramirez guitars for a while that where also the lower quality instruments. Would love to hear a more refined Manuel Rodriguez sometime, so I'll keep an eye out for them here in the states.

...back to the original post, how is the Rodriguez Selmac? Anyone?
    I have a model C (not a B as i wrote in a previous model, that was a typo).

In Europe the price of this model hovers around 1000 Euro.
    The one i have is very loud.
    Sound is fine, with an emphasis on the midrange.
    The body is larger than a standard Selmer size, but not as large as a Favino.
    The neck is really large, to the point where i think it does not suit a beginner. In fact imho the neck does not even come close to the shape of a 'genuine' neck. More like an oversized classical model.

Wood quality is good (certainly for the price) i was told by somebody who in into this sort of thing. Paintwork is fine as well.
    It may be factory made, but 100 years of experience does show here.

Hardware is on the cheapish side. The tailpiece and tuners of a Gitane DC 255 are of better quality.
    Frets are way to thin i feel. Eat through windings in a couple of days.

All in all: sounds fine, but hard to play if you are small or have small hands, due to the size if the guitar.
    Hardware should be improved i feel.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    i used to sell this Rodriguez range in London--in my experience they're pretty awful guitars--the bridge is all wrong and they don't compare with the cheaper Saga gitanes--even their classical guitars are not great--and their Flamencos are way too heavy.
    Stu