DjangoBooks.com

Criticism on my la pompe

alexborowskialexborowski Albuquerque
edited October 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 7
Hi. I've been playing gypsy jazz for almost a year now (been playing guitar for a while longer, though), and I'd like some comments on how my la pompe's coming along. The sound and video quality in the video aren't too bad, but they are horribly out of sync. About 2 or 3 beats so, I'd say, so it might be kind of disorienting to watch and listen closely at the same time. I think what I may be doing wrong is a bit too slow of an upstroke still and sometimes I find my self playing a pretty long 1 and 3 versus a very accented, staccato 2 and 4. If you watch the video, you can hear it when I go from E7 to F7 in the first chorus; I hold the E7 and F7 chords on beats 1 and 3 longer. The other thing I might be doing in that video is speeding up slightly. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Alex...that's coming along nicely! Like you said, the upstrokes are too slow and too loud. I'd say you're getting too much of the "galloping horse" effect. Get the upstrokes a bit more subtle and fast and it will really swing!

'm